Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So my brother and I sold our interest in a pontoon boat and bought Goldwings. Mine is a 96 1500 with 88K on it. His is an 82 with 44K. Haven't ridden in 25 years when I commuted on a 350. I live in a perfect place with lots of twisties in the Colorado Foothills. What an adventure the past 10 dayshave been.

Riding home got a little scared. Imagine your first ride in 25 years being on a Huge Beast! on the third turn in our canyon, almost didnt make it - but was going slow enough to come to an almost stop and recover. The last half mile is steep windy gravel private driveway with switchback turns. After a couple stops, got it home - no incident.

Day 2 Figure 8's on the flat spot in the gravel driveway. Not a good idea because once I laid her down when the wheels came out from under going about 2mph. I love the way it falls at a 45 degree and no damage. Whew.

Except for a few figure 8's on the flat spot in the gravel driveway, it sat in the garage till I took the class and renewed my endorsement on the 3rd day.

Day 4 Got her down the hill and took her for a spin on the twisties. Was taking it easy and had to let traffic pass. These twisties are for real with cliffs.

Day 5 Same thing but more confidence. Going up and down the driveway is getting to be a breeze.

Day 6 Taking my daughter out for a ride. On the transition from dirt to pavement it was a little wet so there was mud over pavement. Just as I was getting ready to go, a car comes around the corner. Hit the brake and the front tire is on the slick spot. Not really moving yet, but there she is at a 45 again. Whew Whew.

Day 7 Gonna take her to work... just got done riding the 4 wheeler doing some chores. The brake is on the left so guess what. I mixed up the brake and clutch coming down the worst switchback and made the turn a little wide. It went over the edge (30 foot drop) but got caught only3 feet down upright by3 small trees with magic Goldwing catching branches and no big trunks. Found a local tow truck driver with a sense of humor and for $75 and a case of beer he picked her straight up and set her on her wheels... no damage. Whew Whew Whew.

Day 8 Took her to work. No incident. What fun.:)

Day 9 Same but got caught in a torrential downpour on the way home. 1 Inch of water on the road. With my rusty skills and fear of hydroplaning, pulled over and waited it out while I got soaked. #1 request for father's day... raingear.

Day 10 ( today ) BEST DAY YET!!!!!:clapper:

The whole reason for the post. Got her down the drive to the twisties. Took the Road to Pinecliff. Am confident but not crazy. Loving the way she takes the corners. Keeping up with traffic and not pushing any limits. WHAT A FEELING. I cant believe I have lived on the perfect Goldwing road for so many years and instead bought a pontoon boat:?

I am gonna borrow my son's helmet cam and give you a UTUBE experience of the Rocky Mountains. Nothing thrill seeking but lots of fun. You will get to see the coolest twisties and the 3 small trees with magic Goldwing catching branches and no big trunks. Because if I wasnt there, I wouldnt believe it either.

Here's to the next 10 days of what is turning out to be a glorious summer.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

Wow, what a way to start!

I grew up in Lakewood, so I need to ask-have, or are you, going to ride lariat trail? LOL

Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I also grew up in Lakewood, so of course I have. Where else would I take my high school dates? And of course I will. I pass it every day on the way to work so the temptation will become overwhelming.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

so... lakewood high school? what class? Or was it green mountain... or alameda?

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Wow, what an experience you have had already. Look, try to keep it upright:dude:It works so much better that way:cheeky1:Seriously, ride safe, I look forward to your movie :action:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

May I gently suggest getting some more 1 up time with the bike before going 2 up? My wife and son are precious to me and even though I've been riding for 30 years these Wings are still a beast at times. I went down pulling into a parking space at less than 5 mph due to an oil slick left by a leaking car. Front tie went right out from under me on my 750 and broke a mirror. I made the store pay for the replacement as their company policy is to clean the parking lot every day of spills and slick spots, which I found out hadn't been done in a week.

Would love to see those twisties though, sounds like a fun ride.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Alameda 82

And I agree about the 1 up time first, but am starting to do some short rides to the nearest parking lot along a local no traffic road so we both get the feel

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum :waving:

Practing two up pay attention to the stops. Once your moving it's all good but the extra weight when you stop and put a foot down can get you. And when they decide to lean way over to the left at that same time :shock:

Look forward to the video, you do have some very pretty country to ride thru up there.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Bagzzz wrote:
Alameda 82

And I agree about the 1 up time first, but am starting to do some short rides to the nearest parking lot along a local no traffic road so we both get the feel
Here's a tip from the Ride Like A Pro website demo video. On slow stops or turns, don't use the front brakes for control, use the rear brake.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
Here's a tip from the Ride Like A Pro website demo video. On slow stops or turns, don't use the front brakes for control, use the rear brake.
Great tip. I completely agree. I was taught that in the class and it was reinforced when I gently laidher down (the second time)

But that does bring up a good question. Doesnt the pedal on the goldwing go to both front and rear brakes?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Bagzzz wrote:
Bagmaster wrote:
Great tip. I completely agree. I was taught that in the class and it was reinforced when I gently laidher down (the second time)

But that does bring up a good question. Doesnt the pedal on the goldwing go to both front and rear brakes?
Yes it does, from the 83 1100 models on up. Luckily my 82 brakes aren't linked that way.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

Bagzzz wrote:
Alameda 82

Well then... Lakewood 77. Nice to meet a hometown guy...

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
Would love to see those twisties though, sounds like a fun ride.
The aforementioned Lariat trail... You want to ride down this, and end up in Golden with a tour of the coors brewery.

dont want to ride this after the tour;)

http://www.citymtnviews.com/Lariat.php4

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

UBarW wrote:
Well then... Lakewood 77. Nice to meet a hometown guy...

Yes it is... now we just have to talk you into moving back. Moved back from the Pacific Northwest myself.

Dont think I will go to the brewery before or after the Lariat because either way I am still the designated driver and that means i'm surrounded by free beer drinking soda.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

WOW :shock:,,,,,,,,, not only starting out with a large bike like that,,,,,,, but doing it in that part of the country.

You have no idea how much I'll be looking forward to your video. My first time out west ( to Colorado) was last year at this time. The most breathtaking sites my eyes have ever seen. Can't wait to get there again. And that will be this Sept.

Are you aware of the NASSIR-2 (meet-n-greet) that is going to happen in Montrose???

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

That's a very busy time of year for my company but feel free to stop by the house... keep in mind the last half mile is a bear( im talking about the road, but you might see a bear). 15% grade gravel (300 feet climb in 2000 feet) with 2 steep switchbacks. Not to worry -if you go over, the trees have magic Goldwing catching branches and I know a good tow truck driver :D

I fugure if my daughter learned how to drive on that road in December, I can learn how to ride my Goldwing on it in June. She is the best driver I know now. Hopefully I will have similar results.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.