Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well, the last part of the puzzle for my junker/dump bike is now up for looking at- the rotted front tire. My 79 wing calls for a 100/90x19 but I think the 1100s used a 110. Is there any advantage to installing a 110? The front end on both bikes is the same except for air caps on the 1100's. Come to think about it, 5 or 10 pounds of air in the front would be nice!! - although the lowered forks and faster steering would be missed while dragging the engine around a corner... Thanks, Jim

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

The 80-81 1100s used a 110, the 82-83 had a smaller 18" wheel that took a 120 tyre. I put a 130 on mine and the only difference was slightly heavier steering. There were no side effects or bad handling other than that and I fot use dto it. So at a guess I'd say you will get a similar result fitting a 110 to your gl1000. From what I've been told, it's much easier to get a decent 110 tyre anyway and a 100 tyre might mostly be available in cheap Chinese versions.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks, Well, I would rather have a sportier feel as opposed to one "on rails". I live in an area where there is no such thing as a straight road. The bike is leaned to the left, to the right, or in transition to the left or the right!

Man, I wish I moved here years ago. Every road is like the one in that Acura car commercial. Later, Jim

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

Hey, Jim... We spent a week down in your neck of the woods in August as we have friends who own a motel in Creston. Had a couple of wet mornings but other than that, had a great time exploring the countryside. We're planning on going back this summer for a more extended tour.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

A fat front tyre might seem a great idea, most people fit one just for the sake of it or because it looks cool. But it does make the steering heavier by a noticeable amount and the extra grip gained is probably minimal, if any at all.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Jim, the fatter tire might also give you a mushier feeling in the steering response because there will be more rubber between the road and the rim and because of this you could also end up with more difficult balancing problems if you don't buy a premium quality tire.

Vic

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.