Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, for anybody still looking for a pair, I have a solution if you have some basic fabrication skills.

I have been searching for about 6 months for a pair for a 79 GL1000. The 79 GL1000 is a b*st**d set. All 1000 ears will fit all years of the Gl1000 but, the 75-78 use round turn signals whereas a 79 has the square turn signals like a GL1100 which makes them mount like a 1100. The GL1000 and the GL1100 ears are not interchangeable. Bikebandit does still sell some new 1100 ears for about $150 each.

I have decided to manufacture my own set seeing is how I do have the ears minus the mounting tabs where somebody cut them off. I took a piece of 1/4" plate steel and cut it to these dimensions, the mounting tab is 1 1/2" long, 3/4" wide at the base where it is to be welded to the ear and 5/8" wide at the other end. I kept the back of the tab straight and the front tapers. I eased all corners with a grinder to not cut the rubber boot. I put a 3/32 bevel on the edges to be able to weld them to the ears. I went to my local muffler shop and paid them $10 to mig weld them on for me. After having them welded, I put the turn signal on the mounting tab to locate my mounting hole. I drill a .177 hole to be able to tap the hole to accept the factory 5mm X .8 mounting bolt. Here are some pictures. It only took me about an hour to fix this problem.

Hope this helps some folks.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.