Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where to start. I bought a 76' GL1000 as sort of a project bike. I was told by the previous owner that he had a coil arching issue and decided to replace the coils, removed the original coils and then he let it sat. When I got bought it, it had the coils removed and included the org. coils and a set 1100 replacements. I have tried both coils and only get spark on cylinders 3 & 4. If I swap the coil leads I will get spark on 1 & 2. Cleaned the points and I checked resistor and noticed it must have been replaced with a napa resistor(ohm 1.85). I get 7v from both Yellow and Blue leads, but I only get 7v when open at the points on the blue side(right) and 0.30v when open at the yellow(left). I get the same voltage at the condenser connections. I am sort of lost, Never really had a bike with points always electronic ignitions. I have looked into replacing the ignition with the Dyna S, but I want to make sure the bike is worth the investment. Any advice? Thank You

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
It has been a long time since I worked on a bike with points ignition but I think you probably have a bad condenser or the points on that side. Sounds like something is shorted out to bring that open point voltage down.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Disconnect the lead wire from the points "at the points". Check you reading again. If the voltage comes up to normal, check the insulator on the points and proper wire installation.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
dyna s for the 1000 does not use a condenser. the kit no. is ds1-3 . not that hard to install and for get. running around 125 usd here.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
My theory was the condenser. But I wasnt sure. Would the Dyna nix that?
Even with a bad condenser, you'll have a running bike. You'll burn the points up in running it, but it will run just fine until the point contacts deteriorate to the point of crust from no condenser action.

The condenser prevents arcing of the point contacts when they open. Without it, arcing will happen and the life of a set of points will be drastically shortened.

A Dyna "S" module eliminates the need for condensers. No need to add capacitance into the circuit to delay the signal shot to the coils since there's no moving parts that will arc voltage between a gap prior to the coils. The sparkplugs (which are on the secondary side of the ignitionables) don't count in this...

A Dyna "S" module is the cheapest route into some form of electronic ignition for a GL1000. Not "true" electronic ignition IMO, just something on the primary side of the circuit using high speed magnetic reed switches replacing the points.

Actually, you could leave the condensers in the circuit and most would never know the difference anyway.

You want electronic ignition? Try (at a minimum) a Dyna III set-up instead. Use coils meant for electronic switching instead of the factory tank coils.

A good electronic ignition set-up on a 1000 is something worth having no matter what. A excellent set-up is even that much better..

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Even with a bad condenser, you'll have a running bike. You'll burn the points up in running it, but it will run just fine until the point contacts deteriorate to the point of crust from no condenser action...
Yes/No Capt. If the condenser/wire or ground were disconnected or ungrounded that would be true. If the condenser is shorted, it will eat up the voltage as described.
Having no condenser or improper matching can cause driveability complaints as one of the functions of the condenser is to attenuate voltage spikes that might be driven back into the primary side of the coil, affecting saturation.
(High speed misfire)

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
All true.
I suppose the condenser could be shorting out...

I'm thinking the inside set of points is grounding out in the point housing...

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
All true.
I suppose the condenser could be shorting out...

I'm thinking the inside set of points is grounding out in the point housing...
My bet is the point lead wire is on the wrong side if the insulator. If your right, pay yourself a nickle, I'll do the same.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Could be..
...wonder if the point cover hasn't pinched a wire. Those 35yo moisture-preventing rubber grommets deteriorate. Wonder if the cover gasket is still there..

Some irradiated XLPE J-1128 in GXL clothing would solve the problem though.
Blame it on the ozone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didnt get anytime today to take a look at the bike. The points cover rubber grommet is still there. I swapped the lead wire at both the points connection next to the condenser and at the coils. Still the same just swapped. I planned on running a temp. wire to the points from the coil. Ill post a update tomorrow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We got a runner. I decided to remove the points and check the connections. Turns out the guy before me, who rebuilt the points stripped to much and grounded the left side points and covered most with liquid electrical tape. I guess he missed a spot.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Good deal.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
We got a runner. I decided to remove the points and check the connections. Turns out the guy before me, who rebuilt the points stripped to much and grounded the left side points and covered most with liquid electrical tape. I guess he missed a spot.
You have to love PB's, they keep the shops that are willing to work alive as well as this forum.:ROFL:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.