Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Back in August, my wife and I went on our first long holiday on our ownsince getting married22 years ago. That is without the kids! The main reason for the trip was to visit my aunt who is 92 and lives in a resthomejust aboveSan Francisco. Naturally we chose a Goldwing for the trip. Although we have been hanging around together for almost30 years this was our first long distance trip of any duration by motorcycle. I should point out that I been riding bikes 37 yearsand have done similar distances solo in europe.

My camera is an FE170 Olympus, which takes some great photos but it'snot the best type for shaky hands as it takes longer to take a picturefor some reason, also the photos taken in Tillamook Air Museum were very dark and I have adjusted the pictures but they have lost some of their clarity. I took photo's sporadically, so you will see many in one place and none in others.

Most of them are from Tillamook,Cloverdale, Eureka, Asti and Mendocino. My wife had the video camera on her shoulder for most of the trip so I used the camera when the batteries were charged.

We had a wonderful trip and met great people everywherewe went, apparently somewhere around Tillamook is where the Snapple cranberries are grown and as you go further south cranberries are in all forms of food, bread and salads included. Tillamook alsohas cheese and icecream. I'd recommend anyone taking this trip at least once in their lifetime. Just remember that September may be a better time to travel on the 101 as in August it can be quite foggy and if you wear glasses you will be stopping to wipe them more often than you would want. Along with the fog is wind at certain times from differentdirections in the morning or afternoonwhich can catch you unexpectedly especially on some of the more exposedareas close to the sea.

The Astoria Bridge is an incredible two laned highway across the Columbia River rising from just above sea level to 200 feet on the Oregon side. There are numerous beaches as you go through Oregon and on into Northern California.

Cloverdale is a very attractive town, ithas been recently updated and work has been done to improve the boulevards with pleasent places to sit and admire the view. We had a few great meals here and enjoyed some natural cider and anal fresco band on the deck of a local beer and wine pub, but have forgotton the name, they were down on one of the side streets.

Eureka is bright and cheerful, we were there on a Sunday so it was a little quieter. They have recently opened a boardwalk, we wandered around some of the old town and had a nibble at an internet cafe.

Anyway have a look and enjoy.

http://picasaweb.google.ca/colmfiftyfour/Holiday2008101ToSanFransiscoAndBack?authkey=EXGrvPtLhWQ#5290137205243320226

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Nice slide show!! Thanks for sharing, looks like you guys had a blast!:clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

As a little tidbit about Tillamook. Tillamook cheese is famous for it's flavorful medium cheddar, to which I will attest.
I'm a sharp cheese lover but the medium Tillimook cheese eclipese all others IMO.

So much so that when my MIL who lives out that way used to fly back for a visit, she was to bring a block of it as a visit requirement. I no longer ask her to bring it now because it looks a lot like a block of C4 to the airport security equipment and I couldn't do that to the poor airport screeners (her).

But if you are ever out in that neck of the woods, don't miss an opportunity to find and pick yourself up a real treat.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
imported post

Nice scenery. I was south of there in ft ord in 73 doing basic training at the time. Got see monterey and that's all. I would like to make a trip out there some day on my wing.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

THanks for the wonderful pictures.

Ride Safe, Ray

:action:

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks Nightwizard, it was a great trip and the Goldwing was perfect for the job. We did get a rear wheel puncture but I plugged that outside a cafe and put a tire sealant in there just in case...No problem!

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Yes Rudy, the cheese factory in Tillamook is a very popular tourist trap. We were really surprised at the amount of visitors. Most folk watch from above as the workers cut and pack the cheese, as it wends it's merry way to packing the tour ends and you get to taste the cheese.Of coursethis happens to bewhere the icecream is also for sale and I was eating icecream when offered some cheese so I didn't get to taste it..sorry!

The Tillamook Air Museum is worthy of a visit as all the planes on display are actual flying machines and arejust on loan to the museum until the owners fly them to an airshow or what have you.

The Sealion caves just before Tillamook are ok but not really worth the entrance fee in my opinion. The parking lot is across the road and it can be dangerous trying to cross as there is no crossing or warning for the motorists driving by that people are crossing at that point. We saw several old folknearly getting creamed and a tour bus had to swerve just while we were walking to the road. The elevator drops you to a cave about 100 feet below the entrance from where you wander through a dark damp tunnel to a couple of viewpoints above where the sea lions honk and scrabble in the dark, sea birds fly in and out whistling and shrieking. The photo of Hecate Head lighthouse is from an outlook inside the caves.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Very nice of you to share the memories. Our family went to Frisco, Monterey and down to Carmel for a wedding. All with out my bike.
Thx Longboater,

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I had hoped to go further south to Monterey and Carmel but ran out of time. Part of the reason for that trip was to go to see my aunt who is 92 before she kicked the bucket (her words). My wife has been down there and maybe she'll come with me again and we'll go that bit further.
My next big trip will probably be to Montrose and perhaps on to the Denver area. I have a cousin there I haven't seen for 40 years or so to meet for a muffin maybe.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

Great pics Wingle - thanks for sharing. Means a lot to us in the north where we are heading for - 33 tonight.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,200 Posts
imported post

English Bob wrote:
-38C as we speak,

Aaaaaarrrrggggghhh!
??? Even the dribbles would freeze before they hit the ground :shock::shock:

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

Not to worry - we can't pee standing up in temps like this :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.