Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi guys and gals, I got the heads off and parts on order, I know on the initial fire up I`ll let it get warm then change oil again...Is it ok to use regular 10w 40 for the cleansing lets say, then put the 10w 40 4 stroke oil in?...Also, I seen where a napa oil filter # PS4940 is same filter, can anyone confirm this?...Thanx...

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Oil
DO NOT USE REGULAR CAR OIL. It has friction modifiers and the clutch slips. Most here are using Delo400 15w40, with great results over many many miles. Better shifting than synthetic oils and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

After market parts numbers
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/22913.html

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Delo400 15w40, Is this sold at auto parts stores, walmart???...Thanx...

·
Old School Guru
7,876 Posts
imported post

newday777 wrote:
Oil
DO NOT USE REGULAR CAR OIL. It has friction modifiers and the clutch slip. Most here are using Delo400 15w40, with great results over many many miles. Better shifting than synthetic oils and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

After market parts numbers
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/22913.html
As long as it is not "Energy Conserving" on the API Label, you can use Car Oil. Most 10W40 oils are not energy conserving which are oils with the friction modifiers. All my 1100 ever had in it was Castorl GTX 10W40 car oil. Most of the 237,000 miles I had on the 1500, was with car oil beforeI started using syntheic oil. Still had the original clutch in both. I now use only syntheic oil (Mobil 1 Racing 4T) in my 1800.:smiler:

Gene:action:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
imported post

10w40 car oil has had a lot of changes in the last few years, taking the zinc and phosphorus out as these metals are hard on catalytic converters. They're substituting molybdenum disulfide, which lowers friction and improves gas mileage. It also causes problems for people with wet clutches that is most motorcycles. I am very happy with Delo400 15/40 Le also.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
imported post

I've been using Castrol 10w40 motorcycle oilon my 83! Never new til now that there was a difference between car and bike oil other than the label! Learn something new every day! Cool!:bowing:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

DC46 wrote:
Delo400 15w40, Is this sold at auto parts stores, walmart???...Thanx...
Yes.
Walmart is $13/gal. O'riley's this month is $12.99/gal(April 2012)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.