Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I had plans for doing two larger tours this year. One was down to Montrose(and points beyond) and the other was for riding a loop of the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks.

My bikin bud, Brad, wanted to go on one with me, but was limited to the amount of time he could be away from his young and growingfamily.1st, he wanted to accompany me to Montrose. When I told him the route I was planning on taking, he said he had already been to most of the places on the West Coast I was planning on hitting. So, compromises were made on my part to try and accommodate him. Then he said he would meet me part way there and ride with me for a few days and then leave for home. I wasn't pleased with that part, so I said "Nope, I'll do that myself, thanks."

I told him if he wanted to tag along on a ride, I'd be doing the Grand Tetons/Yellowstone/Glacier run and that perked his interest.

Being the map/planning/research 'freak' thatI am, I set about planning a route for us to fit within his time limit and wouldn't consist of a lot of high mileage days. I also wanted to avoid the 'super slab', as much as possible, preferring the laid back county roads/byways.

A plan was drawn up, revised I don't know how many times and finally one was reached that would fit the bill to a 'T'

Bikes and gear were readied and when I checked the long range weather forecast for the selected camping areas, things did not look very promising. Brad is not one to ride in rain. In his own words - " I don't do rain. I check with the Doppler Radar first before any longer rides" Well, I told him, you can expect to ride in therain sometimes, even in the middle of summer and the forecast doesn't look promising. We both scoured an alternative route, considering doing the Columbia Gorge and down the Oregon Coast. Then I told him, what do the 'Weather Guessers' know. We both know that in mountainous terrain, if you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes. It's always so changeable. I said the heck with it, we'll stick to our original plan.

Brad would be loading his bike and gear in the back of his pick up and be driving down to Spokane, early Monday. He had ordered a custom built ski platform for his boat and was going to pick it up from the manufacturer in east Spokane. Then he'd unload his bike/gear and leave the truck in the manufacturer's secure compound. Then he wouldmeet me at a roadside info center, along I90, just before Coeur D'Alene.

Overall, we had pretty fair weather. We did hit some dirty stuff(hail/heavy downpours, etc)at times, but most of it was short lived. We somehow managed to just skirt many a dirty looking storm, either by chance, or by timing. One notable one was when we were on the homeward leg of doing the Bighorns loop and we just skirted a large thunder cell moving in from the west that had to be over 100 miles long. Lots of entertainment watching all the Lightning with that one! :DWe weren't quite so lucky as we got caught in a downpour, complete with hail ,as we found out there were no campsites/hotel lodging available anywhere in the park.(Yellowatone) We made a run from Fly Bridge to a National Forest campground, which took us about 2 hours to get there, due to some Asshat with a large RV, pulling a car, that had 15 cars lined up behind him and he refused to pull over at a pull out, to let any ofus by. :baffled:When we got to a fairly level/straight stretch, I was gone and wassoon followed by Brad.

We also made a new friend, who tagged along with us in his cage, for 7 nights. He pulled into the same campground we had just arrived at, after leaving the guy in the huge RV in our water wake. There were no more available sites left, except for 2 that were for hard sided camping units only(Griz). I invited him to pitch his tent at our site and we all hit it off. He told us that he used to ride an old 650 BMW. Seeing as he was planning on going in our general direction, he decided to come along with us and split costs! I soon had a 'Handle' for him, calling him 'Inspector Gadget' for the amount of electronic gadgets he carried with/on him.The 3 of us had a lot of fun

Before long, the trip was about to come to an end. I was wishing it were longer, but Brad was kind of anxious to see his wife and 3 young kids(16,12 and 6 yo)

No problems were encountered with either bike, except Brad had to replace a rear tire in Cody, WY, to the tune of $306 installed. I had a temperature controller for my heated Tourmaster Synergy Jacket Liner crap out on me, after the 2nd day of using it. I called the dealer and they(Wing World) will send me out a new one,oncewhen they receive my defective one back.

We both came very close to running out of fuel along one desolate stretch of road in MT. I had close to 1/2 gallon left, while Brad had just over a quart left. :shock:I had shut down all 'Life Support Systems'(MP3,/aux lights etc) and limped along doing 50mph until we hit the small town of White Sulphur Springs, which was a few miles out of our way, but was the most promising, closest town that looked like it would have fuel for 2 desperate bikers. :cooldevil:

The only 'disappointment on the whole trip was the fact that the Going To The Sun Road in Glacier wasn't fully open yet. We got to drive up past the midway point, but we had planned on doing the whole thing and circling back via US 2, to West Glacier. :(Brad and I had to agree that the roads just travelled where the best that the NW US has to offer motorcyclists. As Brad put it, "I doubt very much if I'll be able totop that ride in my lifetime"

Here's a (not so)little slide-show account of our adventure. http://www.flickr.com/photos/dusty-boots/sets/72157620571076170/show/

Dusty

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Good to see you back Dusty Boots. Sounds like you had a very enjoyable trip.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

We were worried about you, being so long not hearing from you. Now we find out you were just out having a great time. I'm glad you had a great time. Sounds like a wonderful trip.

·
Premium Member
64,581 Posts
imported post

Boots
That was a great slid show thank you for sharing.. I'm glad to see retirement is agreeing with you..
Did you do some of your own cooking a the camp sites and were you hand holding your camera ???????

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

Awesome! I am green with envy.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Foodman wrote:
Boots
Did you do some of your own cooking a the camp sites and were you hand holding your camera ???????

We lunched at restaurants en route when travellingand cooked all of our breakfasts and all but 2 dinners.

We had some food bars and my homemade Cajun Beef Jerky to snack on while riding.We also took along a water bladder each, to keep hydrated(I mixedup some Crystal Lite in mine)while riding.(very important!!)

Breakfasts were quick,simple affairs, consisting of Quaker Oats instant oats(variety packs) with which we added raisins and granola.

Dinners would range from a simple can of stew, smokies with all the trimmings,to a more lavish concoction of spiced
Teriyaki noodles with canned chicken added, along with pitas. I would think that our dinners cost on average of ~ $5 or less a night. I used 1 $4.80225 gas canister and just started onmy second one, on the second last night.

All my photos were shot 'bare handed'. No mounts/tripods. 90% were shot 'on the fly', most times using 2 hands. On the odd occasion during 'day trips', I would be sitting on the Pillion seat on the straighter deserted sections of road(not recommended for beginners!!),snapping away. :cooldevil:

Dusty

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
imported post

Wonderful trip Dusty, thanks for taking all those great pics. The last time I was out there was thirty six years ago when I was eighteen. Still happy to see that it is still as beautiful as it was then. You really got me thinking about what I would like to do when I retire, still 5 years away but it is nice to start dreaming and planning.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
.......which took us about 2 hours to get there, due to some Asshat with a large RV, pulling a car, that had 15 cars lined up behind him and he refused to pull over at a pull out, to let any ofus by. :baffled:
We have the same clowns in abundance around here right now.

Usually it's flatlanders from Texas -driving a rig that isway too big for them -with no experience driving in the mountains. It sure is frustrating , isn't it?

We just go back last weekend from riding some of the same areas (4400 miles). I heard that the "going to the sun road" wasn't open yet, but we wern't going thru the park so it didn't matter to us. Mt. St Helens and Mt. Rainier both also had road closures when we were there.

We also didn't bother with Yellowstone (been there) but rode over the Teton pass fron the Targhee to Jackson. I'm a big fan of the Tetons and will go there anytime. Did you guys make it to Jenny Lake? Beautiful!

I'm glad you had a good trip.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Ok Pal,,,,,,,,,,,,, enough already:shock:I swear your going to drive me to sell all my belongings just to tour all the same roads and then some.

Absolutely Spectacular Ken :clapper::clapper::clapper:

Your living right ;)

I truely enjoyed the WHOLE slide show.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

We had originally planned to camp at Jenny Lake but it was full by the time we got there(2:40)

The Tetons remind me of the Canadian Rockies.

When we topped Pine Creek Pass and started heading down into Victor, there was an ominous black cloud hanging over the town, We both looked at each other hoping that our path wouldn't lead us through that.

Our luck held as we veered off to the SE, up and over Teton Pass, which is a beatiful piece of road.

We already had camp set up and had a walk around the campsite, had dinner, when the Asshat pulled in. I felt like walking down there and giving the driver a piece of my mind, but I figured I'd just be wasting my breath. :headbanger:

Newton Creek is a beautiful little gem, nestled in a bit of a canton that reminded me a bit of southern Utah with it's rock formations and slightly reddish hues.

I've been around Mt Rainier and it's a nice park as well, with some fine roads/views.

The Rangers at Glacier said they hoped to have the GTTSR open this coming weekend.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Winger77 wrote:
Ok Pal,,,,,,,,,,,,, enough already:shock:I swear your going to drive me to sell all my belongings just to tour all the same roads and then some.

Absolutely Spectacular Ken :clapper::clapper::clapper:

Your living right ;)

I truely enjoyed the WHOLE slide show.

Everyplace has it's own beauty, Dave!!

I love/miss the stands of Hardwoods on the hillsides back east!!

I should mention here that the last 40 or so shots showthe land/forests transitioning into the much more arid Okanagan Valley, where I live. Situated in the rain shadow of the Cascades, we are the home of Canada's only 'desert' Temps here can climb to 115F, which surprises a lot of people.

Just a couple more months until you get your 'fix' Dave. ;)

Yup Retirement is just GRAND ... just Grand indeed. Just think ... I get paid to ride and see the world!:cheeky1::cheeky1::action:

Cheers, Ken

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

i just finished viewing your slide show and boy did that bring back some happy times to mind. thank you very much for posting them. im sure looking forward to montrose . see yeah.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Great pictures, good slideshow. Sounds like you were very accomodating and had a great time as well. Never long enough is it. Guess you missed the bears riding through Yellowstone :D

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

wda-83wing wrote:
i just finished viewing your slide show and boy did that bring back some happy times to mind. thank you very much for posting them. im sure looking forward to montrose . see yeah.
I'm with ya there, Wayne.

I take it you'll be camping again?

I'll be at Cedar Creek Campground. See you there! ;)

Cheers, Ken

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
Guess you missed the bears riding through Yellowstone :D
Nope, there are pics of 2 different Grizzlies in the slide show. The one was far off, but you could tell he was the size of a Volkswagen!! :shock:

Also saw a medium sized Blackie, but never bothered taking a pic of him, as I usually see 20-30 of them a year around these parts

Dusty

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Don't know if it was my computer or whatever, but the slide show stoped about 1/2 way through and would not start again, tried to single click but that was taking a lot of time just to bring one picture up. Hmmmm, have a feeling it is my computer as fourm seems to be really slow this morning as well. I'll try more later

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

I uploaded some video footage I took with my digital camera and thought I'd share some with you.(to watch them full screen, click on the little 'icon' on the lower right hand corner of the players toolbar)

1st one is of the area right around our campsite at Newton creek Campground, 14.5 miles east of the east gate to Yellowstone NP. The area reminds me of Southern Utah.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dusty-boots/3671619777/

next one is of our campsite

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dusty-boots/3672353498/in/photostream/

Yellowstone Lake, looking south

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dusty-boots/3671650217/

The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dusty-boots/3671297507/

a couple of Shell Falls, on the western edge of the Bighorn Mountains

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dusty-boots/3672191366/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dusty-boots/3672210872/in/photostream/

and a little 'action shot', riding along Hwy 14A in the Bighorns

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dusty-boots/3672139018/

Dusty

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

Very nice, love shots like this...thnx for sharing !

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

Man I wish you would have taken a picture or two. :cheeky1::cheeky1:

Great pix Ken! I was going to ask how far away that Grizzly was that you took multiple shots of. He looked big, but not easy to tell in pictures, especially not knowing the distance.

In the Hwy 14A action video you got a bit close to the white line didn't ya. ;)

Glad you had a great and safe trip!

John

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.