Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hey Folks,

I just got an 82 1100 GL Interstate. I cannot find anything about the air suspension other than you just set it at different pressures to adjust ride. My system leaks, and I need to know the protocol to make this work properly. I will first check for leaks on hoses and connections, then go to the shocks and forks themselves, correct? Is there a rebuild kit available for the rear shocks, as I see snap rings at the bottom of the body, and if so, are there any special things, procedures or tricks I need to know? Thanks for the help.

JKN

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum!!!

I know many others have rebuilt the shocks.. front and rear.. I guess once you determine what your problem is, we can go from there..

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Jim,

I just got done checking my GW out as much as I could. Seems the rear shocks are good... they have been holding at 30 psi. The front forks, however, won't hold pressure and looking at the rubber at the top of the sliding portion, there is a fair amount of oil coming out of the top, so, I am thinking the front fork seals need to be replaced. So, I guess we start from there, huh?

Thanks, JKN

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

Yep, sounds like you need to get a rebuild kit and spend a couple of hours of quality time with your bike. There are several places to get the necessary parts. I always get a kit that has the new seals, washers and the fork wipers. All you have to reuse is the circlip. I have rebuilt the forks on all 4 of my bikes and it is one of the easiest repairs you can do on the bike. If you have a service manual, it's well documented there, otherwise I'm sure if you do a search on "Fork Seal Replacement" you'll find the proceedure outlined pretty well. The one thing you'll need is a circlip tool large enough to remove the internal clip and piece of 2" PVC pipe to use as a seal driver to seat the new seals. The circlip tool is available from different places, I got mine in a kit of several sizes from Harbor Freight for less than $15.

Good Luck,

Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.