Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Okpicking upmy first bike tomorrow 81 Interstate (YAY). I have been offered by someone else a 1200 aspencade for a hundred bux,its been sitting outside for 15 years and only good for parts. Im going to take it just for atleast simple things i can get off it like highway pegs and such plus the scrap weight. Is there anything that is the sameinterchangeableI can salvage for parts? Engine,trans,final drive,swing arm,centerstand,wheels,calipers ect??? Anything that is good and I cant use will postin "for sale"for cheap or trade.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Very little of the GL1200 is in common with the '81 GL1100. The '83 GL1100 has a lot of parts that made it onto the '84-'87 GL1200, but there were so many changes from '81 to '83 that not much will fit.

Best buy it, and sell the good stuff here on the For Sale boards, and offer the leftovers to someone with a GL1200.

There are several items on the GL1200 that are sought after, but 15 years in the elements will take it's toll on many of those.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,594 Posts
imported post

There are a lot of parts that aren't even interchangable between different years, and even different models of the same year of GL1200. Getting anything that would work correctly for your Eleven would be a pretty long shot.

However, as Sam said, you may do well to part it out. And the experience taking it apart could be helpful when you start working on your '81.

What year is the GL12?

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanx Guys,will get it in a few weeks and see whats salvagable for others then and get some practice too. Dunno what year yet,saw it for a minute today and realized its not a'96 likeI was told. It belonged to a fellow who passed away years ago and his wife just kept itoutside,i'm getting it from her x boyfriend so I have to waitto dig into it to find out the year.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
imported post

The first thing I would do is to determine exactly what you have. Year and model, then go from there. If it's been sitting outside for as long as the PO said, chances are they meant its been sitting outside since 96! At least the math works out.

Can't imagine that you'll find much on her that's any good sitting for that long, but as Dennis said, the experience of breaking her down might be worth more than what you'll get in parts. Go for it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.