Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is there a simple way to do this, or will I have to do some fairing removal? In addition to that, are there instructions available on fairing removal?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
imported post

Hi pwzumstein,

Not sure on an 1100, but on my GL1200 I have to remove the faux gas tank
in order to get at the cap to take it off.

There will be others along soon who will know more
about the 1100 specifically

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
imported post

Yes, you have to remove the faux tank which means removing the lower fairings to get to the 2 bolts to get the tank off!!! Also the seat has to be removed which means MORE bolt removel !!! Really is a pain just to check or add more coolant!!

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

You should just add coolant to the overflow tank if it is low, it will get sucked into the rad.
The question is why is it getting low? if it is of course.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I am looking to add that radiator leak stop. I'm pretty sure I have a blown head gasket but I need a quick fix for now. Will this work?

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

I used a small amount of Alumaseal to stop a pinhole leak in the radiator.
That was about 10k miles ago with no bad effect so far.

It works on a radiator, I dont think anything will on a blown head gasket even though it says it does on the container.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

You do not need to remove the lower fairing. You can get to the lower faux tank bolts by inserting a long socket extension through the fins.

These 2 bolts plus the ones under the seat . Lift thetank off( may need to remove the air cleaner box) . the radiator cap is located foward left.
On bot h the 1200 and 1100

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

I too have found it a PITA to get to the radiator cap. On the Aspy, the faux tank is not so easy to remove without disconnecting the compressor hoses. I remove the seat ( I used to remove the saddle bags until someone on this site pointed out that the screws were accessible by pulling the rubber seal up a bit) remove the fairing lowers and remove the two screws holding the faux tank.

I can then lift the tank with the compressor hoses untouched and **** the tanksideways enough to get access to remove the filler cap. I have a funnel with a long stem that I use to top it up.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

If you have blown the head gasket, I think you will find that the only thing that will fix it is a new head gasket. I went through that a couple of months ago on my Aspy.

If the head gasket is blown, you may find that you are getting oil blown back into the coolant and into the header tank.

I suspected that I had blown a head gasket and confirmed it by removing the plugs and stuffing a strip of clean white cloth into each cyclider on the suspected side. I left it there for a few minutes and could clearly see green flourescent coolant on the cloth when I pulled it out. Perhaps a bit unconventional but it worked for me.

Come on back if you need help with the head gasket. Maybe you could put your location into your profile. Someone might be local to you and willing to help out if needed.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

Yep.I've found the Goldwing is like an MM Peanut. Gotta go through the hard candy coat, next the tasty chocolate coating and then the crunchy peanut.hahahahahaha Its a real PIA on just about anything you do on these things. If the bike wasn't such a pleasure to ride, I'd go back to a Shadow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.