Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

82 1100 carb problems, in the begining the number 2 cyclinder was not firing, checked compression was 150 on all cylinders, great spark, swaped plugs, still nothing, removed bowl screw fuel runs out, sprayed carb cleaner in the intake port screw hole and engine would speed up and start hitting on the cyclinder.

Took carbs apart and cleaned all the junk in the carb, insatlled the carbs and the same thing again, anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

How far did you tear them down for cleaning? You might want to get together with my brother and I about cleaning them correctly as I bought the book off Randakk's site for doing the carbs on an 83 my brother bought in Florida. He lives on Hiway 11 between Campobello and Hiway 14, about 2 miles east of the Junction Restaurant.

I still have to get back up there and sync the carbs for him.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I took them off the bike and completely apart except for seperating the carbs from the plemiumn body. Put a new accellerator pump, the other carbs seem to be working fine.

It has good vaccum at the intake port hole,so I am not sure if it is still the carb or possibly a mis adjusted valve.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Float level could be off as well. What color is the spark plug? Mine was running very rich. And yes, you need to tear down the carbs completely. Mine had rust sediment from the tank clogging...everything.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Idle circuits are miniscule. Like a har or less. Those jets can be a real bugger to get clean and will plug very easily. If you have vacucum and good compression odds are your valves are not the problem and you need to focus on the carbs.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

You need to pull that carb apart take all the jets out all three in the carb body and the two under the carb top cap and clean them. Clean the vacuum sides wouldn't hurt either as long as your in there!!

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Ok here is the latest, took carbs back off. Remove bowl, all the jets, needle seat, the small air diaphram on the side, air blows through all the ports, carb cleaner goes through all the ports, checked float level compared to the other three carbs, all are the same.

But carbs back on bike, the same problem, no fuel coming through the #2 carb, does not make since, have tons of vaccum on the #2 intake port, exactly the same as the other 3 cylinders.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

I just had a carb that the port from the plenum to the carb bowl was clogged..the gallery that leads to the float bowl basket..but i had no/very little fuel in the bowl.

If there is fuel in the bowl then it has to be a jet blockage or a vacuum issue..drain the fuel how much is in the bowl?

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Yup, there's a microscreen that feeds the float bowl. Mine was completely jammed with tank rust/sediment. Did you take that apart?

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Yep, that one was cleaned also. I have fuel in the bowl, just can not get any to come through to feed the engine.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Does anyone were the fuel is pulled from at idle?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Did you check the settings for the slow speed fuel/air adjusters on the bottom of the carbs before taking them out for cleaning? They have limiter caps on them and won't come out until after you take the bowls off. For the 82-83's the basic setting for them is 3 full turns out. This will affect fuel at idle speed.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Right now all 4 carbs are set at 1 1/4 out, I belive that is what the book called for. Its only the #2 carb giving me a problem.

I will try to set the number 2 at 3 turns out and see what happens.

thanks for the response.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Flashhawk wrote:
Right now all 4 carbs are set at 1 1/4 out, I belive that is what the book called for. Its only the #2 carb giving me a problem.

I will try to set the number 2 at 3 turns out and see what happens.

thanks for the response.
1 1/4 is for the 80/81's, different carbs than the 82/83's.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

If your idle circuits are clear and you have vacuum then the only thing left is fuel level. Set up your rack on the bench and fill the bowls and then one at a time drain them and see if # 2 equals the others.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Another way to check fuel level is to attach a clean plastic tube to the bowl drain hole..you need ported bolt to do it..hold tube up so the open end is past the bowl lip at least a n inch or so..fill the carbs with fuel the level in the tube will show you exactly where the fuel level is inside the bowl. Whiskers measuring works too just not as precise but a lot easier???

Me I still think something is clogged..the idle jets(all the jets) have to come out to be clean all the way..they have ports on the sides that can't be cleaned in place. If they are blocked you might get some compressed air through the jet but the gas will be severely restricted.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Ok I will try these tommorrow. I have taken the jets out and ran a small wire through the tubes and holes in all the jets, abd then air, and then sprayed carb cleaner through them. I am missing something somewhere.:doh:

Its really crazy but something is restricting it somewhere or the fuel level is so low it will not suck the fuel out, whihc is funny because all the float levels are at the same height.

·
Administrator
26,187 Posts
imported post

The fuel comes out through the hole the adjusting screw goes into at idle. I had one so clogged in the passage from the jet to the port I had to drill out the plug in the passage to get it open then re-plug the hole.
Another thought on this. I can't seem to gather everything together in my brain at once.
If the air cut off diaphragm has a hole in it, it will suck air through it and lean out the mixture.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
imported post

I had a similar problem once turned out to be a vacumn leak. On the outer sides of the down tube right near the bottom where they bolt to the heads there are Philip's head screws, one on each down tube to the outside. Make sure they are there and are in tight. They are used to mount the chrome intake covers. if you are missing the one for the #2 runner you would gt symptoms you describe.

It's a long shot I know but worth checking.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The fuel to your #2 carb comes through an aluminumtube from #4 carb. If that gets plugged no fuel in #2. You'll have to take one of the carb bodies off the plenum to get the tube out, it's just pressed in with an o-ring seal. It's a good idea to have new o-rings on hand they have a tendency to leak after being disturbed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.