Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

'81 wing. Started smelling antifreeze while riding. When it is sitting nothing drips. Can't find any wet spots anywhere on the bike. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

skysoldier4 wrote:
'81 wing. Started smelling antifreeze while riding. When it is sitting nothing drips. Can't find any wet spots anywhere on the bike. Any suggestions? Thanks
Well, it's leaking somewhere if you can smell it. Check all over the top of the engine, not just the ground.

On a bike that old, it's likely the crossover tubes. Very common problem.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Take a look in on top of the engine. There are coolant tubes running between the heads and block. They are sealed with O-rings and gaskets to the heads. Easy fix if this is the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Is the reservior full? It could be that the hose from the reservior to the radiator has decayed.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

Follow the advice from those above and if there's nothing wet on top of the engine, hunker down and check out the bottom front right (side stand) side of the engine. If you're water pump is shooting craps, it may start "weeping" near the radiator hose inlet at the bottom of the engine. I can say that I've had a similar problem with some of the wings I've owned over the years which would "weep" a little coolant on top of the engine when it was cold outside...

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
imported post

Just wandering Squirts if the problem that you had with coolant leaking on top the engine when it was cool outside was the cross over pipes? I have the same issue with my '78 gl 1000. Only when its cool out side and the bike is coolit will leak other wise never see a drop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.