Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:cheeky1:I'm looking to buy a backrest for my 83 Goldwing 1100. I see a number of them for sale on E bay but they are for 1200 or 1500. Does anyone know if the later models will work? Can the later models be modified to work?

Jerry

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

The backrest hoop (Markland type) is bigger on the later ones, but you can bend them to fit. Only thing is it looks terrible with the bigger gap between the seat and the hoop.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Sit tight... During the riding season, someone will post a backrest for the 1100's on E-Bay. I've got one that was purchased for a GL1200, but in no way does it fit.. I think it's for a 1100, just not sure, and can't use it.

Be careful with E-Bay. Make sure of what you're buying before bidding. You could try Venco Wings in New Hampshire USA. Jim might know where to purchase a new one for your bike...Good luck.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

The smaller gl1100 type will not fit later models, but teh 1200 one will fit the 1100 as described already. You also have to drill holes in different positions in the mounting lugs. Personally I think it looks too out of place fitting a 1200 backrest to a gl1100.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

I have to agree. My 1100 has the backrest and it's a snug fit that looks "right." If there were a gap, especially a large one, between the seat and backrest it would look odd, probably not be that comfortable, and may interfere with a passenger when riding two-up.

Just my two cents (or schillings or whatever it is you use). :)

Jack

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
imported post

All of the advice is right - there will be some on eBay and you might want to check every couple of days. They come and go fast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.