Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Naked Goldwing
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, need some help here. Sorry in advance for the long post. I made one of those purchase decisions that can best be described as a 'learning experience.' A 1978 GL1000 off eBay from another state. Looked good but if course it's got some issues. Nothing too bad I don't think yet aside from the major new-to-me GL stuff (need to solder the yellow stator wires - one's burnt out, need to replace the original dogbone fuse, timing belts, probably replace thermostat along with all the fluids). I think it's been sitting for a while. BUT, the one issue that I did not understand until I received it was that it's got an engine swap - a gl1100 engine in the 1000 body. It's got the dyna type ignition 'upgrade' so that alleviated the main issue it seems in squeezing the 1100 engine into the 1000 frame. BUT BUT, I'm not sure about the carbs. I think they're 1000 carbs? On a 1100 engine? I don't know why the PO would've done that but oh well. If that's the case I think my best option is to source a set of proper 1100 carbs and rebuild them or go the single carb conversion route? I think Randak's page said earlier carbs on a later engine is a definite no-no.

Or, should I just take a loss and try to sell this? I'm hoping all it needs is dealing with the carb issue and then the regular small fixes here and there to get it on the road. But if this is a major $$ project I should probably cut my losses.
Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Tread

Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Gas Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
It all depends...
Don't you love those answers?
Without taking things apart, it's unknown what condition they are in. You are on the right track with fixing the obvious broken items like the wiring issues. Then change the timing belts, put some fuel in it, see if the carbs start leaking if not, see if it will run. Maybe the carbs were drained before it was sitting, or maybe this was an abandoned project that was never finished, or has catastrophic engine failure. You just never know. As long as you don't mind working on it, you can probably get it running. If you like riding more than wrenching, it might not be the right bike.

·
Registered
1982 Naked Goldwing
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It all depends...
Don't you love those answers?
Without taking things apart, it's unknown what condition they are in. You are on the right track with fixing the obvious broken items like the wiring issues. Then change the timing belts, put some fuel in it, see if the carbs start leaking if not, see if it will run. Maybe the carbs were drained before it was sitting, or maybe this was an abandoned project that was never finished, or has catastrophic engine failure. You just never know. As long as you don't mind working on it, you can probably get it running. If you like riding more than wrenching, it might not be the right bike.
I know it runs. When I took delivery of it I got it started up....for a little bit until coolant started spewing from somewhere up front. Not sure if it was cracked hoses or what yet but that's the least of my problems now lol. Had it up and idling a little rough at about 1000 but not even long enough to get warned up.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,993 Posts
were the pictures on eBay clear enough to make it obvious it has the 1100 engine?

·
Administrator
28,213 Posts
I know it runs. When I took delivery of it I got it started up....for a little bit until coolant started spewing from somewhere up front. Not sure if it was cracked hoses or what yet but that's the least of my problems now lol.
That may be the most of your problems, a blown headgasket. Nothing wrong with 1000 carbs on an 1100 engine or the other way around, I don't guess you know if it has 1000 or 1100 heads?

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,955 Posts
If it has a Dyna style ignition the carbs are not the only from a gl1000. So are the heads.

·
Administrator
28,213 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Naked Goldwing
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That may be the most of your problems, a blown headgasket. Nothing wrong with 1000 carbs on an 1100 engine or the other way around, I don't guess you know if it has 1000 or 1100 heads?
Found the carb code, 769A, so they're proper 78 carbs. Head gasket isn't too bad.....just replaced on on my nekkid 82. So far seems fixed but haven't really took it out yet, still waiting on parts to fix the rear brake.

Sleeve Flash photography Grey Wood Automotive lighting

Attachments

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Hi all, need some help here. Sorry in advance for the long post. I made one of those purchase decisions that can best be described as a 'learning experience.' A 1978 GL1000 off eBay from another state. Looked good but if course it's got some issues. Nothing too bad I don't think yet aside from the major new-to-me GL stuff (need to solder the yellow stator wires - one's burnt out, need to replace the original dogbone fuse, timing belts, probably replace thermostat along with all the fluids). I think it's been sitting for a while. BUT, the one issue that I did not understand until I received it was that it's got an engine swap - a gl1100 engine in the 1000 body. It's got the dyna type ignition 'upgrade' so that alleviated the main issue it seems in squeezing the 1100 engine into the 1000 frame. BUT BUT, I'm not sure about the carbs. I think they're 1000 carbs? On a 1100 engine? I don't know why the PO would've done that but oh well. If that's the case I think my best option is to source a set of proper 1100 carbs and rebuild them or go the single carb conversion route? I think Randak's page said earlier carbs on a later engine is a definite no-no.

Or, should I just take a loss and try to sell this? I'm hoping all it needs is dealing with the carb issue and then the regular small fixes here and there to get it on the road. But if this is a major $$ project I should probably cut my losses. View attachment 327737

View attachment 327738

View attachment 327735

View attachment 327736

View attachment 327739

View attachment 327743
I think you've got a 1000 engine with fancy aftermarket chrome 1100 valve covers added (those aren't stock 1100 covers)...
if it really is a Dyna ignition set up, that is a 1000...1100's had factory OE Honda electronic ignitions...
research the VIN# on the block...that should tell you

·
Registered
1982 Naked Goldwing
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think you've got a 1000 engine with fancy aftermarket chrome 1100 valve covers added (those aren't stock 1100 covers)...
if it really is a Dyna ignition set up, that is a 1000...1100's had factory OE Honda electronic ignitions...
research the VIN# on the block...that should tell you
Yup, s/n on engine dates to 82....

Automotive tire Grey Font Wood Tread

·
Registered
1988 Honda GL1500
693 Posts
Just looked closely at pics and yellow ht leads aint standard so the coils cant be either.
I do know that dyna is getting a reputation for crapping out over on the sohc forum

·
Administrator
28,213 Posts
Just looked closely at pics and yellow ht leads aint standard so the coils cant be either.
I do know that dyna is getting a reputation for crapping out over on the sohc forum
It's not even close to as reliable as points or the original 1100 electronic ignition.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Always thought 1000 carbs had fewer problems and performed better on a 1100 engine than original carbs.

Many years ago did that to one the boy got cheap. Seemed to run better. Of course we also put the stator from the 1000 doner into 1100 at same time.

·
Registered
1982 Naked Goldwing
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's got "Andrews Products" coils and what I think is a Prestolite Motorcycle Ignition system. Never heard of either but I found the manual for the Prestolite online after matching up what I've got with photos of different brands.

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Wheel

Automotive tire Bumper Rim Gas Auto part

Vertebrate Jaw Font Poster Paper

·
Administrator
28,213 Posts
Hopefully that's better than the Dyna system.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,955 Posts
My 76 has been running with a Dyna ignition for 17 years. Nary a problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts