Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Itinerant Wing Preacher
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Any body have a recommendation on fork oil weight for an 1100 interstate ? I am going to replace the seals soon. Jay

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,956 Posts
imported post

If you're running stock springs, ATF is recommended by Honda. If you are using Progressive springs you'll benefit from a little stronger dampening. Try 15 weight.

·
Administrator
26,988 Posts
imported post

Use 15 wt. no matter what springs you have. ATF or 10 wt. does not dampen the rebound well enough.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I put in Progressive springs and went with 15W too. Got fork oil at the local cycle shop.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

The big guy gl1100 wrote:
will the heavier oil help keep the fork from banging to the top on bigger bumps?
Yes,it will. It also helps to keep the front air pressure around 21 psi. Much more thanthat and it can start to slap.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,956 Posts
imported post

The big guy gl1100 wrote:
will the heavier oil help keep the fork from banging to the top on bigger bumps?
Fork oil's job is to control rebound, not compression.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Jay, if you are going through all the work of changing seals and fork oil, you'd be wise to check the fork spring length to make sure they haven't sagged to their service limits, which is found in the service manual.

If your springs are sagged, Progressives are cheaper than stock springs and are warranted for life against sag

Dusty

·
Itinerant Wing Preacher
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Probably will go with progressives, just trying to maximize the little bit of coin I have to spend. Both the forks and rear shocks need a rebuild. Plus a few other things. As a plus I replaced the timing belts and water pump before I bought the bike. Waiting on a caliper from Broke Winger, and all the brakes will be new. So I am well on the way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.