Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After a rebuild i have gas in the plenum and when i removed the carbs again last night # 1 runner and cylinder were FULL of gast. Any ideas?

jeff

81 Rebuild

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

Theres a couple of things that will cause that. like was said a stuck float,the carb to plenum oring, or the center gasket of the plenum. When we worked on my buddys wing, that happened. We dried up all the gas in the plenum, started the bike and you could see it bubbling up from the seam. What I would do is tap the carb, remove the air filter and start bike and look for where its coming from.,

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Be sure to drain all fuel from the engine ! Drain oil and refill with cheap oil . Change oil filter with a cheap one. Remove all plugs and squirt a few shots of oil into each plug hole . Do what is needed to ground out spark plug wires. Roll over engine to lubricate internals. Drain/refill oil and change oil filter .
After engine has run , smell the oil , if you detect any gas smell , drain/ fill and change filter once more .

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

It could be a stuck float but I would put my money on the plenum seal or the fuel o-ring where plenum and carbs match up. Fuel goes through the plenum from right to left side. Did you put all new ones in and make sure they are in the right place? The o-rings are not standard or cheap. I had to take mine apart again and put new Randakk seals and o-rings in. Problem solved.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

i did replace the needle valve in the #1 carb. the sealing surface looked poor. filled carbs with paint thinner and it did not leak. I have been trying to get by with reusing the gaskets and o rings by soaking them in PB. Maybe i will have to pop for a rebuild kit but i hope the needle valve does the trick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.