Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I`ve done alot of reading on the tech help section ..trying to give myself some insight on some of the things I should expect with my new to me 83 GL 1100

I noticed a time or two when I started the engine with the bike on its center stand the starter motor just made a whirling sound and didn`t turn the engine .

it`s never happened when the bike has been on the side stand when starting .

I have read here that when pulling the starter to have the bike on the side stand because on the center stand the starter chain could slip off and fall into the oil pan when the starter is removed .

I`ve not seen the inside of one of these engines so I`m not sure I understand the whole of the problem ........but it seems to me the starter chain has slack enough to move around on its gearing ..

can anyone shine some light on the subject for me ?

thanks for any input on the subject ...I`m enjoying the 1100 and like to know my ride before heading out on any long trips .

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

First off thechain can't fall into the oil pan or anywhere. There is no room for it to go anywhere. The reson to do the stsrter on the sidestand is that then the chain will be hanging strait down and be easier to get the starter shaft into the bottom gear that hangs on the chain.
The whirling sound is the cogs on the starter clutch not engaging caused by wier or being dirty.
Alot of riding and perhaps a engine flush may help this out. Not shure why it would only happen when on center stand perhaps the wieght of the chain hanging on the clutch is diffrent angle
Wilf

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,578 Posts
imported post

The starter has what is called a "sprague clutch". How it actually works should probably be left to a more technically savvy member, but basically three rollers engage the chain.

If the motor is gunky, or more commonly contains too thick an oil, those rollers can fail to engage causing thestarter to spin. It gets mentioned pretty often this time of year because the cooler weather thickens the oil.

I think that what you hear about the sidestand is; the chainmight slip down into the engine once it is off the starter sprocket. Using the sidestand puts gravity on your side.

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
imported post

your starter gear could be getting gummed up first try running some mmo or seafoam in your oil for a short time than drain it out

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

thanks for the info guys ...it must have been a cold morning the time it spun with the bike on center stand .
I just thouht there may have been a connection because of what I had read about takeing the starter motor out with the bike on the side stand instead of useing the center stand .
I plan on changeing the oil soon ....I`ll use 10 40 not sure what the PO had used .

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

mine does this also. only when cold out side . no big deal . does it usually only once. and not all the time.

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts
imported post

Don't even bother pulling the starter, there is nothing you can do from there. The starter clutch is on the alternator shaft and the engine has to come out to get to it. Change the oil and ride the dog out of it and it will probably get better.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Befoer you change the oil ..drain a littel add 8 oz of diesel, or MMO or sea foam run the bike for 50 miles easy. NOW drain the oil this will clean out a lot of sludge..and maybe "fix" the start clutch issue. Now put in freash oil and a new filter..10/40.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

I have also read if it's doing it alot, to replace the oil in the crankcase with diesel let it sit for a day or two, drain refill with oil, run it easy, drain that and put in your good oil.

One more thing to try as suggested by others, is with the starter out spray the inside where the starter goes with seafoam deep creep to get rid of the sludge around the mechanism. Haven't tried either but I may need to next spring since mine was acting up.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

When you change the oil, DO NOT USE oil WITH ADDITIVES such as energy conserving modifiers, as they will cause the wet clutch system to slip on you.

The Delo 400 15w-40 works great.

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts
imported post

jeffro1954 wrote:
I have also read if it's doing it alot, to replace the oil in the crankcase with diesel let it sit for a day or two, drain refill with oil, run it easy, drain that and put in your good oil.

One more thing to try as suggested by others, is with the starter out spray the inside where the starter goes with seafoam deep creep to get rid of the sludge around the mechanism. Haven't tried either but I may need to next spring since mine was acting up.
Unless you filled the engine completely with diesel it would not get to the starter clutch.
No way you could get anything to the start clutch through the starter hole.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

actually that's what the guy did in the post I read some time ago. filled it up to the brim in order to get it to the starter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.