Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my 1100 front brake is not taking brake fluid from the brake reservoir
I disconnect the fittings on the top and the bottom brake cylinder hose..There is pressure From the top of the cylinder when I squeeze the handle but nothing comes out the bottom it drizzles a bit but nothing powerful enough to flow out of the bottom brake hose. The hose is clear as I can blow thru it. Seems strong at the top But the bottom punks. Rebuild kit?? Can anyone advise.

Thx Gumby

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
There's a very small hole in the bottom of the mc, that's how the fluid gets into the hose. You can check that with compressed air or a needle.,,

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Gumby, a picture is worth a thousand words but I think you haved described a plugged outlet port in the master cylinder. Remove the brake hose at the banjo bolt on the end of the master cylinder and check there for a plugged port. Be very careful, brake fluid will destroy the paint or plastic if it gets on there.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
The little tiny hole is the return port, if it's blocked, it will manifest itself as a brake that will not release not a brake that will not compress against the disc/s.

What year model is it? You might have a stopped up outlet like jackjohn says or if you have an 80-82 someone may have put a 83 rebuild kit in it. 12mm diameter instead of the 14 required for the 80-82's dual front brake operation, allowing plenty of bypass the way you are testing it.

You need to bleed it properly and then see, if afterwards the lever comes almost all the way back to the handlebar before it even starts to bite, you've got the wrong rebuild kit, as long as your discs are within spec', 4mm minimum thickness for an Interstate.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
The little tiny hole is the return port, if it's blocked, it will manifest itself as a brake that will not release not a brake that will not compress against the disc/s.
That tiny hole also feeds brake fluid into the system.
It's impossible to bleed the brakes with that hole plugged.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
That tiny hole also feeds brake fluid into the system.
It's impossible to bleed the brakes with that hole plugged.
Oh yes you can, been there, done it, got the T'shirt! With a Mityvac, do you have any other complaints about my post? Let's hear 'em.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.