Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

aarrgghh. broke an easy out bit in the front of the oil cover on my 1100 gw. one of the 3

damm phillips stripped then the easy out broke off in the phillips head itself.. someone

suggested a diamond drill bit.. i have tried everything from titanium to carbon no go bad

weekend.. does anyone know where or how to remove this nitemare or suggest where

to find diamond bits..

thx gumby

·
Administrator
27,903 Posts
imported post

Grind the head off the screw, remove the cover and then you can get the screw out.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

hi and thx for the reply. how would i do this since it is almost flush to the engine itself?

and what would i use to do this with?

·
Administrator
27,903 Posts
imported post

A Dremel tool is a very handy thing to have in your tool cabinet. You can get cutting and grinding wheels to do just about any small job. And they are not terribly expensive.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

i do have a dremel tool but the easy out is hardened steel do you think i could get it

out with the dremel itself? maybe diamond bits. i have a new oil pump cover coming

thanks to jbhigg will try anything to remove this nitemare. have been at this for

2 days. have worked on goldwings before have rebuilt the intake system from my

delorean but this bike is a real project the previous owner knew nothing so the

bike lived in the moisture in the pnw.

o'well i will be better for this..

thx gumby

·
Administrator
27,903 Posts
imported post

I think you could use a cutoff wheel in the dremel and cut the head off the screw, if you are going to replace the cover you can go ahead and sacrifice some of the cover to cut the screw off.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

hi dave thought of that. but could i hurt any other parts behind the cover. the cover is no good anyway i just diden't want to hit an oil line.

·
Administrator
27,903 Posts
imported post

You won't have to go all the way through the housing, just enough to cut the screw off. Nothing there to hurt anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.