Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

hi my starter is a bit luggy was going to remove to clean but the manual calls for the
engine removal for this project.. seems totally left field to do this i can see how the
starter would come out is there something with the starter chain and the possability
of it falling into the engine?

thx gumby

·
Just me.
2,746 Posts
imported post

The starter will come out without removing the engine. use a quarter inch drive ratchet set, take out the two starter bolts, undo battery cable, you may have to press down on the shifter, but it will come out. If you follow MrMagic Fingers guide you will end up with an almost brand new starter.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

It will come out with a bit of wigggling, no need to drop the motor

Floor boards can get in the way when putting back in depending on the make but it is pretty easy

Be sure to take the battery loose and be careful not to break the bolt that holds the starter to the motornearest the front of the bike, that is no fun :cool:

Take an asprin before you re install, it may try your nervs a bit

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

first one is the hardest. after that---its a brezze.

·
2,486 Posts
imported post

You need a universal, or swivel on that 1/4" drive. Even w/floorboards, it was no big deal, just have to drop the linkage on the heel-toe shifter

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hey Gumby,

Try this link...

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/73447.html

I did this "How to refresh" guide especially for the 1100 bikes. You do not have to remove theengine and don't worry about the internals falling inside your engine. The whole process is easy and relatively pain free.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

yeah my starter just started messin up works great when you 1st start it but if you ride 100plus miles it barley starts and i loose my presets on the radio the stator i just replaced, and the battery is brand new you can almost cook an egg on the starter its SMOKIN HOT lol its not that hot but you cannot touch it so this winter im going to pull it and see about rebuilding it or buying one off of fleabay

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
imported post

Rebuilding the starter is a piece of cake. I did mine but the engine was out for other reasons at the time. I wirrs like a kitten and I don't get that "exploding gearbox" noise; one of the reasons for engine out, anymore either.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i just had my engine out about 6weeks ago doing my stator i didnt even think of pulling the starter out never gave me any grief i did put some good grease compound on the bicycle chain and check out other things while i was in there just not this issue

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

whats it normally run for new brushes and the normal rebuild for a starter/???? price wise

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

I recently had to pull my starter out twice. Each time I took it apart and cleaned everything up it worked great. But after 3 weeks or so it would start messing up. I plan on taking it out tomorrow and will probably get a replacement. I can't be taking it out every two weeks to get it going. I found a rebuild kit for about $45. But a new starter with a warranty shipped is $101. I'm leaning toward the new one.,,

·
Just me.
2,746 Posts
imported post

New brushes from the stealer cost me about 35 bucks, and I didn't need a wobble/universal. Had plenty of room without.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Big Cahuna wrote:
I recently had to pull my starter out twice. Each time I took it apart and cleaned everything up it worked great. But after 3 weeks or so it would start messing up. I plan on taking it out tomorrow and will probably get a replacement. I can't be taking it out every two weeks to get it going. I found a rebuild kit for about $45. But a new starter with a warranty shipped is $101. I'm leaning toward the new one.,,
9 times out of ten it is the brushes. If the commuter has spots on it take some sand paper and clean it up a little, nothing to it

After market brushes may be too soft, I picked up a set for $25 that where crap out of the box

Like a Chineeeze starter it may look like new but if it is built of crap it willsoon stink ;)low grade metal, bearings and gears :2finger:

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

Like I said I had the starter out twice, and after cleaning it up it worked great for a couple of weeks.I need it to work great all the time. It's easy to get out and back in, but I'm gonna try one made from chineseium, and see how long it lasts.,,

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

Here's an interesting tidbit. I removed the starter today and checked it with my battery charger, locked up. I took it apart to find both of the planetary gears had broken teeth that were jamed in the ring gear. It was working perfect the last time I rode it. What would cause that to happen? They both were greased up good.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Be careful with sandpaper only use the finest grit 1000 or higher..better yet don't' use sand paper to clean commutator use rubbing compound, tooth paste or similar type of abrasive. If the copper plates aren't completely smooth they will eat your brushes in a few minutes of use.

Also clean out the grooves,,there are several good threads on the whole process, check the index search.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
imported post

Pencil eraser works fine. It doesn't have to be shiny like a new penny, just get the black carbon off.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

Actually a pretty easy replacement. Easiest way to keep the inside chain and gear in place is to park on the edge of the driveway, and let the kickstand drop an inch or two below the level of the driveway. That way, the chain and gear stay in position with relatively easy reinsertion of starter shaft.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.