Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

hi removed and cleaned my 1100 carbs. but when trying to re-install my throttle cables
the damm things seem to have [email protected]@##^^%% o'well have tried everything from
the front to the rear for extra length.. approx 1/2 inch or so needed. the cable in the front are of course attached to the throttle itself so no movement there. some say to
place the cables behind the shelf opening to the rear of the carbs.. but there it would seem to get shorter o'well.... anyone have this problem or am i the only one??

thx gumby

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

You might just have moved them a bit off course when pulling the carbs, you will just have to figure it out because having the cables too tight will affect idle speed.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Are you talking the inners or the outers?

Have you found the adjuster that resides up beside the airfilter box? I think you need an 8mm and a 10mm wrench to shorten the outer to give enough length on the inner to make disassembly and reassembly easier.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
imported post

here's a tip:

G.Rays knuckle buster saver tip.

When removing your carbs from the bike .... the acceleration cables are the last thing you disconnect before removing the carbs from the engine cavity. At this time you can slide the carbs partially out the left side and then disconnect them, you will have easier access and more slack to work with. And then finish removing the carb throttlebody from the bike.

When re-installing your carbs on the bike, and you get the main throttlebody partially back in, thats the time to reconnect your two acceleration cables. At that time you have a lot of slack to work with and you can get at them easier. Then slide them the rest of the way in.

Needle nose pliers or something similiar is a handy tool to use at this time.

Then proceed with the rest of the installation.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

1983 GL1100I

I am trying to get the carbs off of my bike, sliding out the left side, but the right front bowl is hitting the upper radiator connection. Does that connection have to come off?

Bike sat for 6 years with gas in it. Put in new gas, sea foam and ran bike for approx 50 miles. Would occasionally run on all four,, now just runs on three. Replaced fuel filter, now the bike smokes pretty heavily and when I pulled the air filter out, plentum was full of gas.

Want to do complete cleaning of carbs and fuel system. Any "watch out for....things?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
1983 GL1100I

I am trying to get the carbs off of my bike, sliding out the left side, but the right front bowl is hitting the upper radiator connection. Does that connection have to come off?
No it does not. They are very difficult to get out. You'll have to keep trying different angles till you hit the one that works. Have you removed the right side carbs caps and pistions?

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I had the same issue on a 1200. Cables do not shrink. I realized I had not routed them properly. It took a while, but I finally got them to fit properly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.