Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've owned my 82 GW for a couple years, and i love it. I've been having a problem or two, and would appreciate some advice. My speedo has been jumping around, ive lubed it several times, and seemed to help. Just this morning, I thought i heard a little click when i took off, and now my speedo doesnt register any speed. Did it break?(It still isconnected, I did check that when I got to work). Also, and my main question, is that my directionals JUST this morning decided to not click off when I completed my turns (both left and right). Is this just coincidence? And can I repair the directionals myself? I'm not mechanically stupid, but I don't have any experience with fixing the bike either. Any help would be really appreciated, before I spend money at the GoldWing shop in town. Thanks. Lee (Burleyman88).

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

A couple of things for you to look at:

First of all, your self-cancelling turn signals run off a sensor in the speedo. So, if the cable is broken, or the drive gear down on the front wheel is shot, no self cancel. I can speak from personal experience. So, what you need to do is take the cable off of the drive unit at the front wheel, on the left side(as you're sitting on the bike). It is held on by one screw. Take out the screw and pull the cable out of the housing. Now, you can check the cable to see if it's broken. If it's not, then put your bike on the center stand and get the front wheel off the ground just a bit so it can spin. Look in the hole where you took out the cable and spin the wheel. There is a flat blade inside the hole that drives the cable. It should turn smoothly without wobble.If it doesn't turn, then the drive gear is shot. I believe that you can still get just the gear itself, but I didn't know this and replaced the whole drive at about $100 from mother Honda.

If the drive turns, you can take avariablespeed, reversibledrill, chuck in a flat blade screwdriver bit and insert this into the cable slot(what I mean is the speedo cable running up to the speedo itself). Then start out slowly running the drill and see if the speedometer moves. If it doesn't try reversing the drill and try again. My Porter-Cable drill can run 28 mph!! If you still don't get anything, then your speedometer is probably shot.:(

Hope this helps.

Hobie

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Wecome to the forum Burleyman88, call often and post plenty! :waving:

When your speedo cable or drive goes south, the self canceling stops working as well. It seems likely that your cable has broken. If you disconnect either end you will probably see the short broken bit fall out.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks a lot, Hobie.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks lots, Ben.