Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I am installing my dipstick kit and the instructions say 1100 holds 3.4 qts. i thought it was 3.7 qts with filter change. which is correct?

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

3.4 is with the filter change. It is always best to double check oil level with the window. After window says it is full you can pull the dipstick and mark the stick.

When I installed my dipstick I had everything in place and only put 2.5 quarts in. I slowly added a few ounces until the low level mark was met. Then I took out the dipstick a couple times and marked the stick by squeezing it with wire cutters so a strong impression is permanent. Then I filled the bike and marked the upper level.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Anyone else here wonder where the heck a motorcycle is able to hide 3.7 quarts of oil? My Jeep Cherokee uses 4 quarts for pete's sake.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,829 Posts
imported post

3.7 qts is when filling after a rebuild for example. Some stays inside when just changing oil and filter.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,829 Posts
imported post

chris in va wrote:
Anyone else here wonder where the heck a motorcycle is able to hide 3.7 quarts of oil? My Jeep Cherokee uses 4 quarts for pete's sake.
Had a Porsche 911 once and it held 12 qts.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:Per the 1980-1983 Honda GoldWing Service Manual and my '83 Owners Manual it says to "fill the crankcase with approximately 3.2 liters (3.4 U.S. quarts) of the recommended grade oil. This is the oil capacity with a filter change. Notice the key word is "approximately".

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Thanks for the info. I installed the JC Whitney dipstick kit, changed out the filter, and put 3 qts + 12 oz. (.4 quarts) of Rotella T synthetic, marked the dipstick with a hacksaw. No leaks, engine seems to like the Rotella synthetic.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

I always just put 4 quarts in whenever I do an oil change on my gl 1100 and never had any problem. Been doing it for 3 years now. If something bad was going to happen from overfilling it, It shoud have happened by now I think...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.