Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all;
New here, not to bikes nor working on old ones. Quick question: I'm looking at an immaculate, well maintained Vetterized (Windjammer with lowers, all baggage) 1980 for only $800. Love the Vetter products. Though being old enough to remember when they were new is a strange feeling....
It seems to have the starter issue mentioned in Steve's buying tips; once the engine is hot the starter acts like the battery is low, etc. Bike cools down, everything is normal.
Starter still starts the bike but I'd obviously like to not have it act this way. I didn't see a fix listed to prevent it in the first place though ?
Aftermarket starter or something ?

Thanks.

·
Administrator
58,999 Posts
1st order of business is to clean and inspect all of the cables from the battery, thru the fuses, to the solenoids, then from there to the starter terminal.

make sure they are clean and free of corrosion.

put a voltmeter on solenoid terminal going to the starter and see how much voltage is there while the starter is spinning. Below 10.5 volts, it indicates poor wiring connections, or a battery that is not in good condition/charged.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1st order of business is to clean and inspect all of the cables from the battery, thru the fuses, to the solenoids, then from there to the starter terminal.

make sure they are clean and free of corrosion.

put a voltmeter on solenoid terminal going to the starter and see how much voltage is there while the starter is spinning. Below 10.5 volts, it indicates poor wiring connections, or a battery that is not in good condition/charged.
Thanks, I looked at all that and all was good. It seems to be the issue mentioned by Steve here:

"Starter motors can give trouble on all the four-cylinder Goldwings and what usually happens is that the starter operates fine when the engine is cold but when warm the starter turns slowly and the owner thinks his battery is going flat. What happens is that the bushes (usually the one in the starter end plate) that support the armature wear out and allow the armature coils (which expand slightly with the heat from the engine) to short off the motor housing. If you run a multi-meter from the housing to earth, sometimes you will find the housing is live! If you get the bushes sorted out sooner rather than later, you will save the expense of a new motor. The brushes mounting plate can come loose too because it is held in place with tabs and rivets, and these can eventually develop play, which leads to a bad connection, overheating and sometimes the plate welds itself to the tabs! Twisting the tabs for a better connection will delay disaster in this area. Allowing the brushes to wear down will result in the slip rings on the armature wearing down and they are so thinly coated that they can't be skimmed down to good copper"

I looked at an '83 doing the same thing. Didn't have a meter with me to check the starter housing though, maybe I'll try that too.

·
Administrator
25,584 Posts
Usually all that is needed is to take the starter out, take it apart and clean the carbon dust out, after you have checked the cable connections, voltages etc. The ground connection behind the left upper engine mount is prone to corrode. Less than an hour to R&R the starter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Usually all that is needed is to take the starter out, take it apart and clean the carbon dust out, after you have checked the cable connections, voltages etc. The ground connection behind the left upper engine mount is prone to corrode. Less than an hour to R&R the starter.
Sounds good, thanks !

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Careful removing the starter. There is a gear on end of starter the rests on a chain to turn engine over. If not careful that gear could slide off into the engine. I had the same problem with my 83 Aspencade. Took starter out to clean things up, and 6 months latter it was doing it again.
gumbyred

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Careful removing the starter. There is a gear on end of starter the rests on a chain to turn engine over. If not careful that gear could slide off into the engine. I had the same problem with my 83 Aspencade. Took starter out to clean things up, and 6 months latter it was doing it again.
gumbyred

Thanks, yes I read about that potential problem in the DIY section/videos. Have a similar thing with the 750four timing chain.
Bike has 140k on it but it's in great shape both cosmetically and mechanically. 140k isn't bad for a forty year old bike anyway !

·
Administrator
25,584 Posts
Careful removing the starter. There is a gear on end of starter the rests on a chain to turn engine over. If not careful that gear could slide off into the engine.
That's just not possible.

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,074 Posts
Have the bike on the side stand when you pull the starter out. Otherwise the drive sprocket and chain will want to hang straight down and the engine will need to come out. +1 on cleaning the carbon out of the motor. Also check the brushes wear and grease the planetary gears.

·
Administrator
25,584 Posts
Have the bike on the side stand when you pull the starter out. Otherwise the drive sprocket and chain will want to hang straight down and the engine will need to come out.
Is this goldwing docs all of a sudden? Nobody actually knows anything, just parrot what the leader says. All this doom & gloom over something that can't happen. The chain & sprocket CAN NOT fall anywhere, there is a rib in the rear case that prevents it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is this goldwing docs all of a sudden? Nobody actually knows anything, just parrot what the leader says. All this doom & gloom over something that can't happen. The chain & sprocket CAN NOT fall anywhere, there is a rib in the rear case that prevents it.
Thanks Dave !

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,074 Posts
Dave, the rib only exists on the 86-87. The starter chain will swing out of alignment on a 1100.

·
Administrator
25,584 Posts
Dave, the rib only exists on the 86-87. The starter chain will swing out of alignment on a 1100.
I could go out and take a picture of the rear case from an 1100 and show you if I have to. The chain & sprocket will swing in a little but it's not an issue.

·
Registered
730 Posts
If sprocket is swung too far out of the way when re-installing starter, put the bike on the kickstand. Sprocket and chain will swing back to where they need to be.

Reactions: dingdong
1 - 14 of 14 Posts