Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am also having a starting issue. When I would hit the starter it would just click once, and arching with a screw driver across the solenoid seemed to start it for a while as a new solenoid is in the mail. When I tried to start it today it "cluncked" ( ya like my technical description?) and wouldn't start with the button or the screw driver solenoid trick. I will get the new solenoid tomarrow, but couldn't get the bike started at all tonight stranding me about 2 hours from my house. I couldn't even roll the bike off by running down a hill. Putting a jumper cable from a car with neg grounded to a the bike frame, and pos. direct to the starter didn't turn the starter either? Any thoughts or tricks?

1.) Does that sound like a new solenoid would fix it?
2.) Do I need a new starter (or rebuild)?
3.) Any redneck tricks to get the old girl started so I can get home?

Thanks so much for your help!

Dean

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

by stranded I mean that I have no transportation. I have a friend in this town that will give me a place to sleep

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,204 Posts
imported post

Sorry dude, there may be all kinds of things wrong with that thing and as you appear to have tried all the redneck tricks, we can't help you with "on the side of the road repairs," first try to chill out and get your A$$off of the freeway and go stay at yer buddy's place and drink lots of beer, try to take the bike with you!!that would help.

Tomorrow morning we will be all over ya a$$ trying to figure out what went wrong, if you have a garage and some tools available, here's a wiring diagram.

Attachments

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

If the engine doesn't turn when you try push starting it it might be hydro-locked.
Pull the spark plugs and see if it turns over and stand clear of the flying gas if it is hydro-locked

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

When I try to push start it in 2nd the wheel locks and slides as you let the clutch out. In third the tire turns, but the engine doesn't "pop". The engine is not seized, as it you can roll it. When you say:

Ken Bergen wrote:
Pull the spark plugs and see if it turns over and stand clear of the flying gas if it is hydro-locked
... how do you suggest turning the motor over? Push starting it? or starter button? I have another post up about fuel... which does show up in the air cleaner box. Anyway, I'll chat more in the morning! Thanks so much!

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

One of the first things I did to my 1100 was replace the 'dogbone' main fuse next to the solenoid. When I pulled the cover, it simply disintegrated like powder or foil.

They tend to develop cracks that cause intermittent starting problems. Go to Autozone, get a blade fuse adapter and wire it in place of the dogbone.

Also if the starter is original or just been on there a long time, just go ahead and replace it. I tried cleaning mine three times and finally gave up. The new one starts the bike with gusto, no delay.

As for checking hydrolock, just pull the plugs and hit the starter button. Stand back, reports of 8 foot sprays are common.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Pull the spark plugs and hit the starter to see if it turns over. If gas flies out the plug holes you have gas flowing into the cylinders leaking by the float valves and have had hydrolock. If thats the case after clearing out gas from cylinders, change the oil too.
Connecting rods can be bent with hydrolocked engines and starter won't turn over.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

ekim189 wrote:
When I try to push start it in 2nd the wheel locks and slides as you let the clutch out. In third the tire turns, but the engine doesn't "pop". The engine is not seized, as it you can roll it. When you say:

Ken Bergen wrote:
... how do you suggest turning the motor over? Push starting it? or starter button? I have another post up about fuel... which does show up in the air cleaner box. Anyway, I'll chat more in the morning! Thanks so much!
Put bike on center stand then remove spark plugs and put in higher gear. Spin rear wheel in normal direction of fwd travel. Watch for any fuel coming out of cylinders...

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Looks like hydro lock was the name of the game! Thanks guys, I got back on the road today. I pulled the plugs hit the starter and sure enough fuel hit the wall 9' off the ground. I am still have solenoid issues, and had to screw driver start her, but I got her running! Thanks again

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Good new's
Only thing is if you have to do it again make shure you have the kill switch off . especially if you use the screw driver method or you may end up with a fireball
wilf

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

Until you get the float issues sorted turn petcock off while your not riding it and after you get it sorted to keep it from flooding engine

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
If the engine doesn't turn when you try push starting it it might be hydro-locked.
+2

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

opps to late he fixed it lol

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

I"m sorry maybe this is a dumb question... do you think the float issues can be fixed by just burning seafoam or the like through the gas tank, or do you think I'll need to pull the carb box? Taking the carbs off this bike is such a pain in the butt!

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Seafoam will not cure the float valves or settings. It gets easier after you pull them a few times
Wilf

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

ekim189 wrote:
I"m sorry maybe this is a dumb question... do you think the float issues can be fixed by just burning seafoam or the like through the gas tank, or do you think I'll need to pull the carb box? Taking the carbs off this bike is such a pain in the butt!
:ROFL:it maybe a pain , but you can do it . better to take care of it as soon as you can and not have it happen again along side the road--- again.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Ok I'll take the carb box off to clean them... I know there are some great pages on here for cleaning the carbs in an 81 Interstate. Can someone post a link to where they are? Thanks again for all of your help!

DEan

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

there are some great tutorials over on nakedwings site. by Octain I think. look for them in the workshop area

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

What does this change to the conversation: We did a compression test and got theses results. Cyl #1= 60psi @ 3 cranks, 90 @4 cyl#2 90 psi @ 1 cyl#3 =90 psi @3 cranks cyl #4= 60 @4 cranks + oil =70 after 4 cranks. So all the rings are leaking? Manual says 171 psi? How much of this issue is rings, how much of it is carbs?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.