Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Okay guys just thought I'd let you in on my latest mod to my 1100. I have a Markland trailer hitch that has, or shall I say had, a stationary ball that didn't allow for anything like a cooler rack or a flag mount for larger flags. Well, taking a cue from Bagmaster, thanks by the way, I made a mod to my Markland set up that now allows for all of that.

Here's where the idea came from:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=76013&forum_id=6&jump_to=796521#p796521

I removed the ball from the plate and got a piece of 1 1/4" inside measurement square tubing, drilled a whole for the pin, and welded it to the bottom of my original hitch. Didn't discolor the metal much at all, and with a little aluminum colored paint, it doesn't really look all that bad.

I fabbed up a cooler rack to hook up today, but now I have an issue with that. When I put the cooler on the rack, you can't see the tag or tail light of my bike. My thought is to put a piece of plate under the rack and add some lights to supplement the brake and tail lights.

Just an idea as the lights go. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'll be adding pics later just to show the set up.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
imported post

I would think if you hook up the lights I wouldnt so much worry about the tag part. If you put a rack like that on your pickup or SUV you cant read the tag on it either so if you get pulled over for tag issue. I wouldnt think you would have a problem. I have a rack I made for the reciever on my bike. I can say one thing to be aware of is coming off down hill incline to level surface becareful it sticks out further now and possible scraping of the incline as your bike levels out(as the bike levels out so does the rack). So if you put lights on it you might want to make sure to mount them up enough that they wont hit. I have brake & turn lights on my trunk so that wasnt a issue for me.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Here's the view without anything in place. I plan on adding probably a threaded pipe fitting to fill in the original whole to allow for a tall flag pole in parades.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Here it is with the rack in place.

Sorry about the blurred pics. My Blackberry takes pretty good pics, but not as good as the camera, and the cable to the camera has been misplaced so the phone will have to do.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

And now with the cooler in place. I really love the way those ol' Pleasure Chest coolers look. I plan on painting this one to match the bike when I paint it.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the kudo's.

I wan to point out one major thing you may want to consider. Since my brother built mine I've used it to haul a 5 gal gas can(full), and a smaller cooler full of ice and drinks on a PGR run down to Georgia. The next day when we all met up for the mission I decided to use the gas can to top off the bike as it contained non-ethanol gas I buy locally.

Now when I went to get the gas can off the cooler rack i notice that where the hitch bar mates to the saddlebag rails the inner steel bar had bent down just a hair, not more than 1/16th of an inch.

So adding an extra brace on each side of the hitch plate and going up to the top of the saddlebag rails is a must for these types of Markland and Add-On trailer hitches.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Bagmaster, I can't tell by looking at your pics, but mine has a bar about 1/4" thick on each side coming down from the top of the saddle bag mounts to the hitch. I see the one on yours that comes down to the light bar, is there another one behind it to the hitch plate? Just curious.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Mine has the support bars too but they're more forward from the hitch plate than yours. Mine are 2-piece and have adjustment holes in them. Got to get the bike back up to my brother's and do some more mods to strengthen it up some more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.