1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi im servicing a friends 1100 interstate and i noticed that in the semi

dark garage with the choke on the pipes start to glow red (before you ask

i havn't started the service ).with the choke in they cool off but seem very hot

i run a 1500 so i dont know if the 1100 runs very hot on the pipes

the pipes are Motads i have them on my 1500 with no problems

any help would be appreciated

Thanks

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

I think Glenns problem is different. He hasn't disturbed the belts or timing and the pipes get hotter with choke out (I would have thought they would run cooler with a higher ratio of fuel than air with choke on).

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Is the bike restricted? I'm wondering if the washer welded into the exhaust pipe on restricted models might cause the pipe to get hotter?

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

That's a good idea Brian. Never even considered that one before, I'd say it's possible if the bike is indeed restricted.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

BRowan wrote:
Is the bike restricted? I'm wondering if the washer welded into the exhaust pipe on restricted models might cause the pipe to get hotter?
Ok, yall help me out on this. What is restricted and where is the washer. Is the washer at the end of the baffle? Is that why I could only get my "baffle removal tool":gunhead: in about 12-15 inches and then I hit something solid?

I'm a new owner so get ready for a heep o' questions!!!!:shock:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

The washer is in the downpipe ,about an inch or two down from the head end. It's never in the baffle. As far as I know, only California models had the restrictor fitted.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

So what is it I hit with my baffle removal tool when I get to the end of the baffled area? It's as if there is a wall built right where the pipe gets bigger. Seems like if that "wall" were not there you could get a little more performance out of the wings.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

oldwang wrote:
So what is it I hit with my baffle removal tool when I get to the end of the baffled area? It's as if there is a wall built right where the pipe gets bigger. Seems like if that "wall" were not there you could get a little more performance out of the wings.
That's just the support for the inner pipe. The 1100's were only ever restricted in the downpipe. The little spot welds are easy to knock out. If your bike goes faster than around 75mph then it isn't restriceted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.