Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently purchased a 1981 GL1100 Interstate and have a question about the Intercom.

The stereo unit (Clarion Type 1 as I understand it) has a knob marked Intercom but I don;t see anywhere to connect the headsets.

I am also wondering where I would find the headsets if there are in fact connections available. The stereo works fine but it would be nice to listen inside the helmet and be able to talk to my wife when she rides with me.

:baffled:

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Look under the pocket on the left side of the fairing for your plugs. You might need the Clarion "Y" to go from front to back. Also there are several places that off the J&M headsets from 59.00 and up.

Google J&M HEADSETS and it will give you a good list of companies that sell.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

The interstate did not come from the factory with any kind of radio. I dont have a Clarion on mine. Maybe the intercom was seperate from the head unit.:baffled: I'm sure somebody else will be along to straighten me out..... Great lookin wing you have there.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

In order to determine if it even has an intercom or not you need to pull the left side fairing pocket out and look at the tuner box mounted behind the controller panel. Since you indicate this is a Clarion I system then the turner box will have 2 5-pins leads coming off it if it in fact does have intercom capabilities. The bottom lead goes to the speaker amplifier, the top lead is for the headset cable. A lot of the Clarion I systems have the intercom buttons on the controller but not the 2 5-pin leads on the turner box. No 2nd 5-pin lead equals no intercom.

Some folks will tell you that the Clarion I systems never had intercom capabilities but some of them (like mine) actually do. I just haven't obtained the headset cables yet to test mine with and see if it works or not. I have a source for the cables, just haven't gone and picked them up yet.

All radios on the Interstates were an option only when you ordered the bike new. Interstates came without radios in stock setup as mentioned above.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.