Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1982 Goldwing 1100 Interstate
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed my starter 'refresh' per instructions in the how to section. This is off a 1982 1100 Interstate. The text says there are supposed to be 6 total washers, 3 on each side of the armature. There was only one thick one on the end cap side. The other side had the three, one thick and two thin. Are there some of these with only one thick washer on the side of the reduction gears or am I missing the two thin ones? Also, the instructions say the two thin washers should be toward the inside with the thick being the last. On mine, the side that DID have the three washers, the thick one was sandwitched between the two thin. Anything to worry about the order? I've got it all back together and back in the bike and seems to be working fine. Am I really missing two of the thin washers and if so, how important are they? Should I be taking this out again to put new washers in and if so, what size are they and where can I get them?

Another minor point: The instructions have you taking the circle clip off the reduction gear side and 'pushing' the shaft out. No way for mine... I took a rubber mallet and tried tapping it out (a bit more than a tap) and it wouldn't budge out of the bearing, so I left it as is and skipped that part. Seems to turn ok with no binding. Anything to worry about that part of the 'refresh'?

·
Registered
211 Posts
the main idea behind a starter "refresh" is to get rid of all that buildup, change out the grease in the reduction gears, new brushes if it needs it, or any other parts that may be failing. if your starter didnt have all the washers and was working fine then clean it up, reassemble and enjoy.

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts
The washers are shims to adjust the end play, there could be any # of them in a starter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.