Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I want to put a 12 V Power outlet in the dash area for a GPS.
I believe thereare accessory terminals on the fuse box. I was thinking of tapping off these and runningt a 12 V outlet to the left hand storage bin (leather snap cover).

Any ideas, comments, or suggestions?

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi you are correct the acc termanal is on the very top of the fuse box this is worked by the ignation so when you turn off the bike every thing will shut down

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

That is where I've put my "triple" cig. lighter plug in. A suggestion would be to run the power through a relay directly from the battery & switched from the fuse block, This allows for more than the 5 amp max power draw if necessary. :action::action::waving:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
That is where I've put my "triple" cig. lighter plug in. A suggestion would be to run the power through a relay directly from the battery & switched from the fuse block, This allows for more than the 5 amp max power draw if necessary. :action::action::waving:
OK then, could you explain that a bit further for me. I want to hook mine back up. I disconnected some time ago as I was having problems with it, don't remember how I had it hooked up. Can you elaborate on the relay, I am a believer in relays, they save electrics.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

With a 5 pin relay, you will only need 4 of the pins - 1 - Fused Power from the battery on pin # 30/51, 2 - to the fuse block for switching on pin # 86, 3 - ground on pin # 85 & 4 - power to the socket on pin # 87. There are 2 - # 87 pins usually for 2 loads. This way the power is drawn from the battery & the 5 amp fuse block only has to open the relay allowing power to pass through with what ever fuse you put in-line.
If you want the best power supply system check Rudy's tips. :action::action:

http://goldwingtech.info/auxwiring/auxpwrwiring.html

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I added Rudy's auxiliary power system and it's the best thing I ever did. No electrical problems and lots of power options.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
imported post

so Mikefyou don't have a 12v outlet then LOL:D

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Oh, but I do. YOU of all people would know that! :cheeky1:

True story. First time I met nightwing83, I had my bike less than a year, but never really checked it out. I said, "I like the bike, but I need a 12 volt outlet. I think I'll add Rudy's auxiliary system." Phil pulls out the rubber plug, where the SE's have a vent knob (Mine is an Aspencade), and lo and behold, there is a 12 volt outlet.:blushing:

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
imported post

And Mike that is a cherrished moment in my memory's not for the humor but for the fact I could help a friend that I had watched and admired online as he was able to help so many others with there problems. The boscobel trip to me is still worth everything we went through because of all the new friends we made

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

You are too kind. Boscobel was a blast and I look forward to many more. I don't know where the greatest values lies.........all the great info here, or all the great friends.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

So I just read Rudy's write up. Nicely done. I will be attempting this myself. I need to clean up some of those wires I riped out and just plainly cut and caped off. I have quite a bit of extra lighting. I'm going to have to allowa day for this one. I may be back with lots of questions, no - not may be back I will be back. I'm going to print it out and read it all again until I understand the whole thing. It looks really clean.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.