Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Merry Christmas to all! I have an inverter here that also allows me to run my mp4 player through my speakers on my bike. Thats it's main purpose. But it also has a 120 volt inverter built in. Without taxing my charging system or my battery, What would be safe to run off the 120 volt part?

I was considering useing it to charge my mp4 or cell phone while riding but Im just not sure if that is safe or not. Any ideas??? Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Generally speaking, inverters are not good for electronics rechargers.

Chances are it is a square wave inverter. This has a "chopper" circuit that alternates polarity in an on/off fashion, and can cause problems with the charger circuits when stepped down to charge lower voltage batteries. For instance, a square wave inverter will not run an electronically controlled variable speed drill.

True sine wave inverters will do the job just fine, but are very expensive.

You can try your rechargers, but I would check into the replacement value first, and keep an eye on them until you are comfortable that they arent going to start a fire.

As far as wattage/amperage, you would need to find out what your inverter is rated for. Sounds like you arent asking for it to do much, so you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i suggest you to go radioshack and find the proper power converter from lighter sockets. i bought one that will charge my ipod on the go, the ipod works on 5v and since its an usb connection i can plug anything usb in that adapter.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

The 12 to 120 volt inverters suck alot of 12 volt power and they're something like only 80 or 90 percent efficient at best so there is a good amount of waste going on.

With that in mind, if you use the 120 volt for small loads like phone chargers you'll probably be ok load wise on the bike while it's running at higher rpm.

I've been using a 1500 watt inverter in my work truck for many years to charge Dewalt batteries and run plug in tools for short periods and havent experienced any problems with the chargers.

Almost anything available in 120 volt power is available to run on 12 volts so I agree it's prolly better to get a 12 volt power outlet charger for things like cell phones instead of using an inverter. Probably cheaper in the long run.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

thanks for your replies! the book states that the inverter is a modified sine wave. it will power 100 watts or less. they equate this to a draw of 0.8 amp or less.

This unit was a Christmas gift and it was bought for the mp4 function. My daughter could not find one without the built in inverter so I figured if I have it, I might as well try to use it as long as I dont hurt my battery or charging system as well as the electronics that Im plugging in.

I think I will use it to charge the mp4 but I couldnt see putting a heavier draw on it than that.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

So to figure the additional load on the Bike.

120v at 0.8 amps (100 watts), is about the same as 12v at 8 amps.

Then factor in an efficiency factor (75%?) and you're now drawing around 11amps.

That makes you stop and think? :baffled:

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

Go for it. The 0.8 amp number is applicable only at full load i.e. 1000 watts. With an MP4 you will be drawing minimal current through the inverter.

·
Registered
583 Posts
imported post

I have used a small inverter to charge my phone via the bikes 12volt supply, with no problems. I have also used it to power a dremel while the bike was not running again no problems, admittedly it was less than 2 minutes,I think the thing here is to apply common sense.

Nick

Welsh winger

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

There's no problem at all using the inverter on your bike. If you plug a small load into the inverter it'll only put a small load on your electrical system.

I keep a 140 watt inverter in my fairing that is on whenever the key is on. I use it to charge camera batteries, charge the laptop, charge the cell phone, run a tent light, and power a 60 watt heating pad while riding.

BTW An inverter powers everything in my off grid house, and has for 15 years. It's a standard "modified sine wave" and has powered everything I've ever plugged into it without a problem.

Q

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

On my first cross-country trip I ran my Video camera on an inverter for 2 weeks & never had any problem. :baffled::waving::waving::action::action::action:

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Right on! The test starts today!!!:action:

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
imported post

Hey Hatchetman
I had an inverter that powered my laptop and other small things for two years while I drove through Mexico and Guatemala in my van, never a problem. All the ones I've seen, even the most basic have a low voltage cutoff, so when the system voltage dropped below 12 (or something like that) volts there was a warning beep, and below 10.5V the inverter shut itself down. That's something to look for because then you don't have to worry about it. Use thick short cables for the power hookup to combat voltage loss. :waving:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.