Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm putting a voltmeter on my Aspencade (84 ). I'm guessing it should show 13.5 to 14 volts at cruise, at about 3000 rpm.

Is that pretty close?

Thanks

Grant

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

Grant

Charging voltage for all 12v lead acidbatteries should be in the range you have indicated. In fact optimum charge is 13.85v.

Andrew

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Newfiewinger wrote:
I'm putting a voltmeter on my Aspencade (84 ). I'm guessing it should show 13.5 to 14 volts at cruise, at about 3000 rpm.

Is that pretty close?

Thanks

Grant
My 1200 used to show 14.4 @ 3500rpm.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Newfiewinger wrote:

Is that pretty close?
Grant, that all depends..

On- where the voltmeter is wired in. If on the battery posts themselves you are probably a little low at 13.5-14. If wired in on the fuse box or other operating circuit then 14 probably isn't too bad.

On- how much load you have on the system & how low the battery is. Extra load or a low battery will lower entire circuit voltage somewhat.

On- what type of battery you have.. Sealed batteries like around 14.2 volts for best charging. Vented lead-acid like the charging a little lower (high 13's).

On- what book or manual you are using.. It seems every one of my manuals by different printers say a slightly different voltage but they all seem to agree that between 14 & 15 volts at 3,000 + RPM's seems to be in the ball park.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

Newfiewinger wrote:

Is that pretty close?

Thanks

Grant
On a 1984 Aspencade I just sold, when it was cold it would show 13.8 to 14. When it got hot and the outside temp got hotter it would stay in the high 14's to low 15's. That was with just the normal things on, lights and radio.......Gary

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

My 85 Aspy with the EC Stator harness charges at 14.7 - 14.9 at normal highway speeds (80 k/50 mph) after a recent trip, on the way home I noticed the voltage had dropped down to 14.3 + after re-filling the battery to the correct level it went back up to the 14.8 -+ readings.
Prior to installing the harness I would get 13.5 + volts.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for all the advice. I'm wiring it to the fuse block under the fake tank. There are two screws + and - to tie into. I'll see what I get there.

On a humour side, my wife and I went out to the corner store to get some milk. It's 1.5 KM away. 163km later we got home. Fantastic ride!!

Thanks

Grant

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

RE: My Voltmeter. I plan to hook it up at the accessorie terminal under the false tank.

I noticed that's where my highway lights are hooked into. Is that a good place to hook up, or will the fact the highway lights are there give a wrong reading.

As you may realize, I know little about motorcycle electrics....but I want to learn!

Thanks

Grant

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.