Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first visit here and I have looked at other posts on the charging system and the stator outputs etc, This is my problem.

The stator wires were all checked and all putting out voltage, the rectifier/ regulator has been changed as has the starter solenoid, the stator wire plugs were melted originally and likewise the wiring going to the solenoid both have been repaired.

I have found that if I remove the red/white wire coming from the regulator /rectifier to the solenoid from the solenoid end and probe it with the engine revs around 3000 I get voltage up to 18V, however as soon as I connect it back to the solenoid I get no increased voltage charge in the battery and the red/white wire reduces to 12V or less depending on the Battery voltage I have also bridged from the red/white wire and voltage drops from 18V to battery voltage, if the stator was knackered I assume i would not get 18V at all, and I know that 14.5 volt is the voltage we are looking for but I assume when I take the reading of 18V it is because there is no resistance which is present when I connect it to the battery.

Hope this is understandable and hope someone can help.

regards

DAVE

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
It sounds like you have an aftermarket voltage regulator?
The stock regulator uses an eight pin plug with a sensing wire (black)
Some aftermarket regulators incorporate the sensing voltage into the battery leads (red/white).
If you have an aftermarket regulator that works in this way, disconnecting it from the battery source would cause it to lose sensing voltage and charge full tilt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the eight wire regulator, where it is probably misleading on my part is the solenoid has a block plug with the four wires but as this has melted I have put individual spade connectors on the wires and shrink wrapped them to prevent any shorting between them, it is when I pull the one red/white off the block that probing that one gives the results, if the black is a sensing wire I am interested in knowing how it senses the voltage as it may be this that is preventing the battery from charging, where is the black connected?

DAVE

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
check that the black sensing wire is receiving 12v signal from battery with the key on,the red wire at the solenoid should be battery output to the mc,the red/white wire is the charge wire from the regulator
try connecting both red and red.white wire together in put them to a 30amp fuseholder and connect the thebattery and see wjat happens
regardless of 8-pin connector or not what glhonda is referring to is the regulator a SHINDEGEN?
non-stock regulators are notorius for being bad

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
If your bike has one of these connected between the harness and the regulator remove it and plug the reg directly into the harness.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks neoracer, I think if the regulator wasn't working it wouldn't be putting out a higher voltage than 12 Volt, but will check the Black wire in the morning here.

DAVE

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
It is my belief that your stator is bad.
Have you tested the stator as the manual says?
Continuity between each yellow wire and the other two and no continuity to ground from any of the three.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
your regulator right now is overcharging,,which as you know will take out your battery and maybe even some other electrical components if left unchecked,in this case not as bad as not working but bad none the less

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.