Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 1986 1200 Aspencade started to leak fuel from a T located between the 2 left hand carbs as soon as I started it upon returning to Florida after 6 months. It runs out in a stream from the bottom of the T. I've tried putting seafoam in the tank, and ran it until it warmed up a few times, but the leak continues. Is there a return line that should be connected to this T? Or is the T some sort of overflow device?
pete

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Pete
Hang in there and don't run it till the leak is stopped or you will have a Fire Ball. Shut the petcock off if there is one. Someone will be along shortly with an answer.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Praying for you

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
imported post

My 1200 did this once. It had a stuck float value. I shut off the fuel petcock, and ran the engine until the carbs went dry and the engine stopped. This allowed the floats to travel all the way open, and when I turned the fuel back on, whatever was stuck in the valve was flushed out, and the float valve was able to shut off again. I may have been lucky, but it worked for me.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
imported post

Yer sounds like a sticking/stuck float?....has it been sitting for awhile?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Randy Peterson wrote:
My 1200 did this once. It had a stuck float value. I shut off the fuel petcock, and ran the engine until the carbs went dry and the engine stopped. This allowed the floats to travel all the way open, and when I turned the fuel back on, whatever was stuck in the valve was flushed out, and the float valve was able to shut off again. I may have been lucky, but it worked for me.
Could very well be this Pete. Be sure and pull the plugs and make sure the cylinder isn't full of gas as you could bend a rod from hydro-lock. Once you have the plugs out , put the kill switch to off, put a rag over the plug holes so any gas won't spray out far, and then crank engine to clean cylinder of gas. If gas in the cylinder, check oil level too as gas will pass by the rings into the oil. If so, change it before running.
Some times tapping the carb bowl with a soft mallet will help clear the clogged valve.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks, guys. I'll try both suggestions out. I'll let you know how I make out.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Well, so far, no luck. Gas still runs out of the connecting T. At least there's been no fire!! Any other ideas out there?

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I tried the running out the gas after shutting off the gas switch 3 times. I haven't bought a rubber mallet yet..

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

Not sure which 't' you are speaking of. Is it connected at all three places it is possible to put a fuel line? If not, some line must be disconnected. A photo would help.
Bobby

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Bobby d, the T is located between the left carbs. The gas is flowing from the bottom, open part of the T.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

Pete, the only 't' on my '84'ASP is the one where the fuel line from the filter connects to the fuel lines to each set of carbs. I see no 't' between the carbs. I think the fuel goes to the #1 and #2 carbs via a pipe running between the carb sets. I just looked at a pic ofa set of carbs and see no 't'. Look again, but don't burn your workshop down. What year is your bike?
Bobby

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Bobby, the bike is a 1986. I'll try to find the post by william 86. How do I search for the post?

·
Administrator
26,195 Posts

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
imported post

The T is designed as an overflow outlet. It is doing what it is supposed to do to keep fuel from flowing into the engine when the float valve does not seal shut

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Thank you Dave, for the link to the post. I couldn't find the T in question from the angle of the pic. It makes sense that it may well be an overflow valve. I tried Randy's method to dislodge the float, 3 times actually, with no success. Any other ideas? BTW, thanks to all, and have a merry and blessed Christmas!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.