Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

After owning a 1100, 2 1200, and 1500? currently no bike at present.

Would love another 1500 or 1800, but due to a limited budget i am looking 1200.

After abit of advice. Have seen 2 ads, 1200 Aspencades same colour 2 tone pinkish colour, very nice.

1986 100 000km €2 700. Abit more chrome + backrest. ( 2 hour drive )
1987 113 000km €2 300 A little bit of chrome ( 4 hour drive )

Any major differences between years, is it worth the extra journey for 1 year newer and abit cheaper ?

Think 87 had clocks not digital, would prefer clocks as am worried about the digital going wrong as it is so old now !
But like the extra chrome and backrest on the 86.

In ideal world would have the 87 with clocks with plenty of chrome and backrest, and nearby. This never exists !

Any thoughts or help much appreciated.
James

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts
Condition is everything. If you have to put tires, brakes etc. on the cheaper one you would soon overcome the price difference.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Agreed. Definitely go by condition. There are likely to be several problems on any bike that old, and one year makes no difference. I would look at both if possible. As the owner of a 1200, my biggest concern would be finding parts. Anything can be fixed IF you can get the parts.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Have seen 2 ads, 1200 Aspencades same colour 2 tone pinkish colour, very nice.

1986 100 000km €2 700. Abit more chrome + backrest. ( 2 hour drive )
1987 113 000km €2 300 A little bit of chrome ( 4 hour drive )
James,

One thing. In 1987 the Aspencade was NOT offered in Metallic Beige (what you call two-tone pinkish). So, that 1987 model you are looking at is an Interstate model, NOT an Aspencade. The 87 Aspencade was only offered in Wineberry Red, Black, and Metallic Silver. This is not according to me, but according to the 1987 Honda Color Sales brouchure, which I have an original of.

The 1986 Aspencade WAS offered in Metallic Beige (also Metallic Blue and Metallic Silver), so the 86 you're looking at is an Aspencade. The 86 Interstate was only offered in Wineberry Red and Black. This according to the 1986 Honda Color Sales brochure, which I also have.

I still ride my '87 Aspencade and do all the maintenance on it myself. So far, I have always managed to find any parts that I have needed, if not from the dealer then on eBay or elsewhere.

Good luck with whichever you decide on.

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
The 87 had better seats and electronic cruise control. The only 1200 with cruise other than the 85 LTD and 86 SEI

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts
Hi all,

Think 87 had clocks not digital, would prefer clocks as am worried about the digital going wrong as it is so old now !

Any thoughts or help much appreciated.
James
Another clue the 87 is an interstate, analog meters. It will not have cruise control either.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
I still ride my '85 1200 Aspencade with digitals all OK, though I did pick up an extra dash $20 some a few years ago off ebay .... "just in case". Works too ..... I tried it once.

I agree, you are looking at a 1986 Aspencade and a 1987 Interstate. Which one or were both kept indoors or out? Both are good rides. I can't speak for the better seat of an 87, both are likely some worn now. Corbin is far better IMHO. Vista Cruise 074045 is the cure to cruise control, it along with a wrist rest are my preference on both the '85 1200 and my '97 1500 (which has factory CC, I still prefer the V-C ).;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for this valid info. Wasn't aware of the colour issue.

The 87 looks just like the 86 with Aspencade all over it, unless the owner has put wrong year on it. Currently waiting for a reply from him.

As said if digit dash still ok after all these years, the 86 model is much closer to go and see.
Am abit concerned about getting parts if needed. But my current budget is for a 1200 only, not enough for 1500. So it's a 1200 or nothing.
Would much prefer to have a bike than nothing at all !

Keep you posted.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
I would ask for maintenance records. If the owner does his or her own work, ask if they have receipts for parts, etc. I bought a 1200 being a little on the naive side. It needed everything except a stator. It ran well, tires looked good and looked nice. After owning it for a few years now, it is finally all sorted out. It needed timing belts, 3 yellow wires taken care of, tires, brakes, a new rear, and a new starter to replace the cheap replacement starter that had been improperly installed. This is just the highlights. I love the bike, but a little knowledge before the purchase would have saved me a lot in the end.

No records, No sale, in my opinion.:readit::readit::readit:

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Check if the Stator Recall has been done

James,

One more important thing. CHECK TO SEE IF THE STATOR RECALL HAS BEEN DONE.

All you need is the VIN off of the bikes to check this. You can call Honda of America Customer Support here:

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
P.O. Box 2200
Torrance, CA 90509-2200
Mail stop: 100-4C-7B
Telephone: (866) 784-1870

If you give them the VIN off of the bike, they will look it up and can tell you if the stator has been replaced under warranty.

Oops! Forgot you're in France. That's OK, any authorized Honda dealer can do the stator recall check for you as well. Just give them the VIN and they can look it up.

If one of the bikes your looking at has had the stator replaced and not the other one, I'd go with the one with the replaced stator. If both have had the stator replaced, then you can pick either as you want.

Once the stator has been replaced you're good to go with that bike. Just make sure the the infamous "three yellow wires" at the connector located just to the left of the battery have been correctly fixed. That connector is undersized and overheats and eventually fries the wires which then eventually fry the stator. The fix is to remove that connector completely and hard solder those three yellow wires together. Most GL1200s still running these days have already had that done, but if not you need to do it or you'll be paying for another stator replacement, which requires engine removal.

I know many folks will say forget the stock alternator and stator and just install a "poor boy" external alternator. You can if you want, but once the original stator has been replaced and the three yellow wires fixed you won't have any more problems.

Good luck. You'll be happy with a GL1200. Great bikes. To me, one of the best looking Gold Wings every built.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
James,

One more important thing. CHECK TO SEE IF THE STATOR RECALL HAS BEEN DONE.
... etc ...
It wasn't a "recall", it was just a "warranty extension" for owners way back when .... it was aimed to instill confidence in the product and has ended long ago. You only got it changed if you had a problem, many never did yet.

Then there was the "lifetime warrantied" replacement offered, to the owner at time of sale or sale / install (if done at a Honda dealer), non transferrable at that. If it ever crapped out cost of parts was covered by Honda (and labor if originally installed by a Honda dealer). I purchased and installed mine in 1997, that warranty is still good to me, but not once I sell it.

;)

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
It wasn't a "recall", it was just a "warranty extension" for owners way back when ....
That's interesting, however my 1984 Interstate was not handled that way. I actually got a recall notice from Honda and the warranty replacement was done at the dealer. I never had any symptoms. Just got the recall in the mail, took the bike in, and it was replaced under warranty.

That said, I'm thinking that the 84's being the first year run of the GL1200's may have fallen into a special category. Either that, or Honda knew by the VIN which particular bikes had the suspect stators in the alternators for that year.

Either way, I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it!

My 1987 Aspencade, which I still have, has also had the stator replaced under warranty about about 20K some miles. This happened under the PO's ownership, not mine, so I'm not sure if this bike was exhibiting symptoms or not. Again, thanks Honda for picking up the tab.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good advice on stator, not really after an engine removal.

Was really after a 1500, but now discussing on here and looking on internet for parts etc.
starting to get quite excited about it all.

Only problem is neither of the adverts have replied to me yet, not overly a good sign.

Here in France not a great deal of choice and if comes up always expensive, that's why looking at 1200. They are a bit few and far between.

Fingers crossed will reply soon so can go and have a look.

Love the look of your bike Wingman 71 in it's photo.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Love the look of your bike Wingman 71 in it's photo.
Thanks James,

I was lucky to find it. Previous owners (2) all lived in Arizona, which is a very dry, hot climate. Not a speck of rust on her anywhere when I got her.

Even though, I did a near frame-off reconditioning of the bike when I got it, particularly anything rubber. The only things I did not remove from the frame were the engine, the gas tank, and the upper front fairing. Everything else came off and was reconditioned as necessary. I also did a compete rebuild of both front and rear suspension with Progressive Suspension components. Rides like new now.

It's a keeper! I already have a nephew asking me to put it in my will to him! (Sure, now he's just waiting for me to kick the bucket! Hah!)

Good luck with your search for a nice GL1200.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi all?

Quick update, there is no update.
Neither of the ads have replied, not a very good sign !!
Rather disappointed about it all. As said was getting quite excited about it all. looking forward to getting it running well and maybe add on some extra goodies.
Most important up and ready for the better weather when it arrives ?
Well hope something happens soon, i need one like yours Wingman1.
Where is it, i'm sure it's justing sitting around somewhere, the exact right bike for me. Just got to find it !!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi all,

Well gone and done it.
Getting bike on saturday.
Gold 1200 asp. 1986, 101 000 km. Metallic beige. Good cond. Not immaculate, but 4 owners and current owner knows the other 3, family and friends. So knows all history, milage etc.
Needs a little bit of TLC not too much.
2 things owner did, which a real shame, broke right wing mirror off the other day taking out of garage, should be able to get.
Other thing, caught the seat with boot or something and has now split down the seam, abit like an "L" shape, ( all on seam ). What's a real shame is the seat is in really good condtition otherwise except this problem.
When get bike will post some pics, incase any advice to try and fix seat ?
If not will have to try and cover or look for another one, pity if have too.
Sure will have alot of questions coming this way soon.
Hope have done the right thing, not bought a money pit, will have to see !!
Otherwise getting excited about it all.
James.

·
I think I was wrong once!
382 Posts

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Well gone and done it...
Getting bike on saturday.
Sure will have alot of questions coming this way soon.
James,

Here's another excellent web site for you:

http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/index.php

This forum is GL1200-specific. Folks on that forum mostly all still ride and maintain a GL1200 Gold Wing. Tons of good tech info and How-To articles on that board.

Good luck, and let us know how it's going.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi all,

Picked bike up yesterday, nice ride back. Needs quite a bit of cleaning due to roads filthy and think owner lost abit of interest at end.

Will have loads of questions coming this way i'm sure. But first one important.
During ride back and all evening once home, uncomfortable ache in right elbow and shoulder. ( 2 hour ride, stopped twice )
This happen a few years back when had another 1200, was adviced to very slightly move handle bars, up or down, can't remember which way was suggested ?
Think it helped but can't remember, it was a while back.

Any thoughts, or other ideas ?

Had a 1500 for a little while and rode a couple of long trips, 7 to 8 hours no problems at all !!!!!!!

Please help, as it has put me off abit to get back on the bike !

Thanks James

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.