Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Fell victim to the electrical problem they have. 4 wires coming off solenoid, green one goes where? It is shorting out the circuit but can't find the origin. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

hi... which wing do you have... it will help us know where to start... do you have any kind of manuel with a wiring diagram

btw welcome to the best darn site on the web

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

mazer wrote:
Fell victim to the electrical problem they have. 4 wires coming off solenoid, green one goes where? It is shorting out the circuit but can't find the origin. Thanks
Mazer, I presume you are talking about a 1200 GoldWing? If so that bike doesn't have a starter solenoid. What operates the starter on the 1200 is a starter relay. (a starter solenoid is attached to the side of thestarter & moves the starter drive into engagement with the flywheel).

Even so, I have all the wiring diagrams forall the 1200 Wings& I don't show a green wire going to the starter relay on any of them. I do show a green/red wire on a couple though. Can you tell us exactly where that green wire attaches to your starter relay? (what terminal?)

Twisty

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Sorry about the confussion on the starter relay, not the most handy person. It is a green wire with a red strip. It is in the back set of two next to the yellow wire. The two wires in front are red and red/white. When I try to connect the green/red wire it arcs and will blow the fuse if connected. I'm sure the grren/red is shorting out somewhere, but don't know what it goes to. It is a 1984 Aspencade. Thanks for all the help, first goldwing!!

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

mazer wrote:
Sorry about the confussion on the starter relay, not the most handy person. It is a green wire with a red strip. It is in the back set of two next to the yellow wire. The two wires in front are red and red/white. When I try to connect the green/red wire it arcs and will blow the fuse if connected. I'm sure the grren/red is shorting out somewhere, but don't know what it goes to. It is a 1984 Aspencade. Thanks for all the help, first goldwing!!
mazer , no problem on the starter relay confusion.

OK, now on that pesky green/red wire question. That wire runs from the starter relay's internal coil to both the clutch switch & the trans neutral switch. That is the ground side for the relay's pull-in coil. The other side of the relay's pull-in coil is monetarily powered from the starter push button switch (yellow/red wire).

Here is how it works, either the clutch lever must be pulled in, OR the trans must be in neutral for the starter rely to work. Either (clutch switch) or trans (neutral switch) supplies a ground path for the starter relay pull-in coil, power TO that pull-in coil is supplied by the R/H handle bar push button & that push button is powered by the ignition switch.

You say--
When I try to connect the green/red wire it arcs and will blow the fuse if connected. I'm sure the grren/red is shorting out somewhere
That green/red wire is supposed to be shorted to ground (either through the clutch switch or trans neutral switch) so if you are blowing fuses with it connected you probably have a failed starter relay.

Any help or additional information just ask..

Twisty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.