Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I don't know if anything will come of it or not but I dropped an email to Randall Washington AKA Randakk about the scarcity of 1200 carb slides with good diaphragms and asked him if he'd consider adding those to the repro parts he's been marketing. He emailed back today and said he's considering the possibility so maybe there's a small chance it might be possible to get replacement slides for the 1200 if it pencils out for him.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

I have an extra set of carbs just for parts. It would be very good to be able to get new slides and diaphragms for my 1200 if the need arises. I hope Randakk will be able to reproduce them and make a profit. Thanks Paul.

:12red::cool:
Dean

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I've been looking for another 1200 just for parts. There was an 84 listed for $1000 but I missed it.
It would be nice to have Randakk get in play for the 1200s. He's done wonders for the 1ks and I think his carb kits are top notch near OEM quality.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

I rode my 1200 for 3 years before I knew that the diaphragms were bad. (all 4 were bad).

I had never ridden a Goldwing before that and I assumed it was just a slow underpowered beast. Other than a lack of power it ran great, and I didn't know any difference. Neither did the previous owner.

Eventually I mentioned the lack of power to my mechanic and he identified the problem right away.

Then I found out they were $125 each. Since I didn't have a spare $500 sitting around, it was another year until I finally fixed it up.

It was an incredible difference. I can't believe I went all that time without the bike running properly.

It'll be a good thing if he can supply them.

Any idea about the projected price?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I have no idea what a final price would be. I don't know when he first decided to look into the problem but if he can find a manufacturer and reproduce them they'd be worth more than $125 apiece in my opinion. For a total of $500-600 or so a set could rejuvenate a dying 1200 for another twenty plus years. Might even be able to last longer since better rubber or rubber like compounds may no be possible. Failing that eventually it's going to be necessary to find a replacement carb system or adapting the 1200s to EFI which ought to be doable too. I've consideredtrying to adapt a Megasquirt or Microsquirt DIY EFI to my hangar queen 1100. It might be worth a try if the attempt wouldn't be too expensive and I could talk Oregonwinger into getting into the project. A kit for EFI on a four cylinder 'Wing would be great to keep the older ones on the road.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.