Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

trying to stop gas from getting on #4 piston. had carbs off twice and cleaned. but if i leave petcock on gas gets on #4 piston and locks motor up when you try to start. can pull plug, in off position, turn over and out comes lots of gas. put plug back in starts and runs great.

if, when i park, i turn gas, petcock off, no issue.

my question is, why does it do this and how can i solve this problem. don't have the money to buy new carbs, or i would.

could the fuel pump be letting gas by? thank you in advance.

mark z.:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

You should never park the bike with the fuel valve on. The Pump has nothing to do with this. You have a problem in the carb with either your float setting/operation or the float valve and seat.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Whiskerfish wrote:
You should never park the bike with the fuel valve on. The Pump has nothing to do with this. You have a problem in the carb with either your float setting/operation or the float valve and seat.
hey fish,

can i buy new float valves and seats, reasonable?

thank you,

mark z.:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I do not know about the 1200. For a 1000 the Needle valves and seats are available from Honda for about 25 a carb. I know Texas is a LARGE State but I would see if you can contact Howard Halasz and see if he can help. He does 1200 carbs as a specialty. He is based in Houston. I have no idea how far that is from you. His Contact info is on Randakk's under approved Carb rebuilders. If you explain he MAY agree to fix your problem without a complete rebuild??

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

Hey I just want to throw this out there and maybe save you some grief. If the #4 cylinder is full of fuel you probably have fuel in your crankcase too. Very bad for the bearings. FWIW.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

seca40 wrote:
Hey I just want to throw this out there and maybe save you some grief. If the #4 cylinder is full of fuel you probably have fuel in your crankcase too. Very bad for the bearings. FWIW.

luckily not, but did check.

thank you,

mark z.

thats exactly why i'm trying to head this problem off

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Just concurring with the rest, leaking float valve, binding float, debris on the valve seat or misadjusted float are the probable cause of the leak. If you replace the float valve and seat don't use aftermarket. Most of them leak. Go with mother Honda's OEM expensive ones. If #4 is the only one acting up I'd recommend replacing it's float valve, check the float action and setting and button her back up without bothering the other three carbs unless you just like working on carbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.