Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Can anyone tell me if the 1200 carbs are easier to rebuild vs the older Goldwings? Just acquired a 1984 GL1200, pristine condition, but the carbs have some issues. A local person who was supposedly a honda tech rebuilt the carbs, then the bike sat up over the winter. The PO (the one I just bought it from) bought some seafoam to put in the tank, but he added the seafoam "Transtune" stuff. The stuff u are supposed to use for TRANSMISSIONS!!!!. He didn't even read the can, just saw the seafoam label and assumed that the parts person gave him the correct stuff. Any ideas on whether this has damaged the carbs? Are they easier to rebuild than the older ones? They haven't been synced yet either...have the gauges and adapters to do that (he bought a brand new set and never used them), but I think there's something wrong with the idle jets in the carbs, because it won't idle very well now, and stumbles really bad at low idle/take off speeds. Get it above 2 grand on rpms, and she will take off like a raped ape!!!! Below that, she spits and sputters and cuts up...

Any ideas? Has new plugs...just put a full tank of premium gas, and ran a full can of seafoam thru the carbs (had less than a quarter tank, added a full can and let it run for a few minutes...then she didn't want to start and run after that! Only after adding more fuel did she start and run, but she does NOT want to idle unless the choke is on and keeping her up above 3 grand!!! I need ideas...need to get her ready to ride....

Will enclose a pic or two as soon as I upload them from my phone....

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Just recently removed and cleaned the carbs. on my 86. I have never worked on any other bike carbs. but the hardest part is getting the on and off.

If they have not been synced. since the rebuild, that can make a big difference on the idle,and throttle responce,it did on mine.

Jim

Jim

·
Administrator
26,536 Posts
imported post

1200 carbs are somewhat simpler the 1100s but try synching them first. I am building a 1200 and it idled bad until I synched them, now it is smooth as butter.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
imported post

If those are freshly rebuilt carbs someone has low standers just based on the apparent condition of the out side. I would try balancing them and check for vacuum leaks. Also look at the plugs and check the compression.

A properly put together and bench balanced rack of carbs should be fairly smooth even without balancing.

Steve

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Just an fyi...those r NOT my carbs pictured n this post. My carbs on my bike r freshly rebuilt (last year) and i was told the bike idled and ran great until after it sat up all winter.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Hey Guys- As the one who did the post, they are the carbs. off my 86. Just thought domscorpiorig would get some help from the pic.I removed the bowls, removed and cleaned all the jets,slides and needles,and reset the float levels. But as mentioned befor, the sync. when all done really made a big difference.
I must confess i did not polish and wax everything prior to putting them back ! ( except the visible ) Sorry for the low standards. :whip::whip:

Jim

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Do any of u think im going to b able to solve this by using a can of seafoam (or 2), or am i going to have to pull the carbs again? I am goung to try the sync ti see if it corrects the issue....as soon as i get it home..

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Do any of u think im going to b able to solve this by using a can of seafoam (or 2), or am i going to have to pull the carbs again? I am goung to try the sync ti see if it corrects the issue....as soon as i get it home..

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Hey jim, i meant no offense about ur carbs my friend. I appreciate u posting the picture, it shows me there are some major differences between the 1100 carbs and the 1200 carbs.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
imported post

The Seafoam Transtune stuff is all wrong for carburettors. It won't do any damage to the seals and o rings, but it will sludge up in the float bowls. You should get most of it out thru the float drain holes.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

2 cans of seafoam 2 full tanks of premium gas, and 242 miles later and shes idling much amoother and running much better. She has a lean mixture on the right side, that side is getting really warm! Runs hot if it idles too long too. Carb sync should correct those issues, right?

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

2 cans of seafoam 2 full tanks of premium gas, and 242 miles later and shes idling much amoother and running much better. She has a lean mixture on the right side, that side is getting really warm! Runs hot if it idles too long too. Carb sync should correct those issues, right?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

domscorpiorlg wrote:
She has a lean mixture on the right side, that side is getting really warm! Runs hot if it idles too long too. Carb sync should correct those issues, right?
No, synchronizing carburetors has nothing to do with air/fuel mixture.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Can anyone direct me to a link or a post that tells me how to sync these carbs on this bike??? GL1200....Interstate...

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Dennis ! Da-- What's a " miscreant " Should i be offended ! :baffled::baffled::ROFL:

domscorpiorig- No offence taken ! sorry to get off your thread a little. I think syncing 1100 carbs. are different from my 1200. If i can be of any help it would be limited to 1200 carbs.

Jim

·
Administrator
26,536 Posts

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Ok, got the link, watched the video....these are MUCH easier to sync as compared to the 1000 and 1100 carbs. HOWEVER...I don't seem to have any vacuum on my intake ports, instead, I have pressure. Not enough to move the needle on the gauges, (it stays right in the white block of zero) but that doesn't sound right at all to me. Anyone know the approximate vacuum readings I should have at idle of approx. 950-1000 RPMS on these bikes? I'm wondering if the PO didn't get the timing belts timed correctly....tried to sync the carbs but there's no change on the gauges....May try again tomorrow morning and see what happens....

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.