Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I hunted around a bunch and went through the manuals and either I'm being more dense than usual (a very possible possibility) or there is not a definitive test for the regulator/rectifier on this thing. I see MANY threads where it is advised to replace R/R if everything else checks out first.

I noticed when almost home friday, that my volt meter was showing below 12 volts. It usually hangs in the 13.8-14.1 range when above idle. I tested out the stator - ok, I went through wiring and plugs - ok. The battery, on the bench is 12 volts even and fluid levels good. I only ran with this meter condition for about three miles, so it might not have been enough to run the battery down much?

I guess I'll put the bike back together and run it some to see what develops. Electrics aint my first language so I don't really have an idea of the CORRECT way to proceed. Right now it feels like the meter (which has only been on board for this season and part of the last) or the regulator. If any of the guys and gals that speak fluent electronese have any input I would sure be interested in hearing it.

Thanks all,
Jim

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
imported post

I would use a voltmeter, at the battery to check for the output. Have you done anything with the connector from the stator? 3 yellow wires to the left of the battery? I see that you tested it? I went through similar situation with two '85 1200s, would up replacing starter relay, and voltage regualtor, I think I am correct to say that your charging voltage is on the r/w wire at the starter relay, another slight possiblity is ground connections, one at the rectifer/regulator, one behind the coolant reserve tank, and the engine mount bolt, that the ground wire from the battery connects to.:waving:

Good luck!

Ben

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks hunter27h!

I'll check my grounds, as usual I didn't think of the easy stuff first!!

I cut out the three-wire plug last year.....it was some kinda ugly and had been 'fixed on' before. The plug at the R/R looks factory fresh! No oxidation, signs of heat or heating. That made me smile.

I'll see if I can figure out how to see what the regulator is running to the battery.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
imported post

If you can get your meter probe into the backside of the regulator plug enough to make contact with either one of the red wires plus either one of the green wires, you can tell if your regulator is producing the correct voltage. DO NOT unplug the connectors to do this. You are basically tapping into the red wire and green wire temporarily to see the voltage directly from the regulator and this takes out the possibility of a bad connector or wiring harness to the battery giving you a false reading. Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Allright! I'm going to go give that a try right now!

Thanks for the suggestion

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

This is what I love about the electrical problems I usually get....

I just put the battery back on board, started up and checked across the above mentioned sets of wires. I'm getting readings around the 14 volt mark. That's good I think.

I look up at the volt meter...whattayaknow....it's reading around the same same thing, not the 11.8 I was getting friday. All better by the simple 'laying on of the hands' yup I believe that allright........

I guess I run it till it acts up again. While I have the seat and shelter off I will track down all ground wires and do a general check. I'll see what I find.

Thanks for the info, I'll let you know if I find the culprit.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
imported post

Good deal. keep on riding!:applause:

Ben

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.