Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

some of you might remember I posted a while back about my wife's 1200 getting "stuck" in third gear. after the bike sat several days I was able to rock it out of gear. worked great until the tulsa ABATE toy run (15,000+ bikes) when after lots of stop and go got "stuck again. when the engine cooled.... would work.

I have replaced the external shift linkage and would have given it a test run, but as we all know, after-market O rings don't always work and I am now waiting fo OEM parts

wish me luck

btw the harley (see avatar) got first place American touring and my 78 wing 3rd foreign classic, at the tulsa abate bike show

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

If it's only sticking in third gear, would that not indicate a gear problem instead of the linkage? Hope it works out for you though.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

You can tell if the clutch is worn by how easily the tranny goes into gear or neutral at a stop. If the gears grind at any time, suspect the clutch.. If there is only a problem when shifting into one or two gears, it could easily be a tranny problem. I suspect the shift fork on the main input shaft is bent.. When the tines are alignedfor the third gear swap inside, they are off center and will need to be forced over the detent to push the gear into mesh. You replaced the external shift linkage, but the shift fork is inside behind the front of the engine casing which means an engine split.

If the leading edge of the gear was worn, you would hear a grinding noise before meshing. Sort of like a car tranny shifting without synchros..

Just a cheap suggestion before you tear into the engine,,,,, Change the oil and filter.. Use 20w / 50w and see if it makes a difference...

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

fortunatelt the oil will be changed with the external linkage (the after market O rings did not work, so I am waiting for a shipment from bikebandit for those). I figured I would do the external linkage so as to not have to split the case. If it gets down to splitting the case, look for 1200 parts on ebay. Like I mentioned, it only happens with LOTS of stop and go driving, and when it cools it will work, other wise shifts really easy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.