Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I read about the Austone tire (or Tyre) and many other CT to use on the 16" wheels. However on my GL-1200 Interstate the back tire is 15".

Question is what size tire, who makes one and any other problems one can think of. The PO gave me a like new tire for the back that a friend gave him. The problem is it is a 16".

A big tire chain tried to find a 15" VW tire that should have fit and in fact was suggested on here. Evidently that is an antique tire as no one in their national chain had one.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

The whole "putting a car tire on a motorcycle" thing actually started with the stock VW beetle tire, and it is still available from a lot of places that sell air cooled VW stuff. Search for air cooled Beetle parts, and you will find plenty of stock sized tires. I have owned 3 air cooled Beetles, one of the neat things about them was they had 15" tires when most other cars that size had 13" tires.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

"15" tire must be a Fatherless Child"

Much like Jesus... or Darth Vadar!

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Both Chirco Automotive (chirco.com) and Coker Tire (cokertire.com) have the original stock size VW bug tires.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,204 Posts
imported post

I'm not a darksider 'cos I like to hoof it on the twisties but 15" car tires are not hard to find, my '97 T'bird has 15's with 195/70 as standard, I like to use the 225/75's on her out of personal preference and just because it's much more fun. You can get BF's, GY's and I believe just about any brand in that smaller size from Discount Tire but chances are they ain't gonna mount it for you.

Or am I just missing the point completely?

·
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Making it fit the 1200 is the trick. I do not want to buy a tire only to find I have a rubber donut that I cannot swallow. Plus some one with previous experience is a wonder full tool to have when buying.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,204 Posts
imported post

See my new topic!!;)

·
Administrator
26,195 Posts
imported post

monkeytrucker wrote:
Making it fit the 1200 is the trick. I do not want to buy a tire only to find I have a rubber donut that I cannot swallow. Plus some one with previous experience is a wonder full tool to have when buying.
I have a rubber donut I couldn't swallow, a brand new one that is just a show piece now.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum4/125032.html

·
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

My uncle was a Korean war Navy Carrier pilot flying two tours. To make the pilot program he was almost too short. So he slept with traction on and anything else he could do to pass the flight physical. He made it. He flew sitting on a rubber donut so he could see out of the cockpit. He loved to fly but bought the farm in 1967 flying out of Fallon NAS when the plane failed. His Naval Reserve flying base was the same one Mythbusters use in their show.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.