Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

First I want to thank those that have helped me in the past. This Forum is the best.

I recently bought a 1984 Gold Wing Aspencade. It has been sitting for several years. I took my time cleaned it up - new fluids etc. Started and I have been riding it all summer. Recently I replaced a rear tire and while waiting for parts I pulled the plugs and flushed vinegar throughout the carburetors again to do another flush. (I did itwhen I purchased the bike to open up the carburetors and it worked great.)

I had my air nozzle out and blowing the vinegar out of the carburetor and out of the cylinders. Iwas turning over theengine with the starter and blowing out the cylinders whenIaccidentally kicked the transmission in tolow gear. WHAM The engine has been frozen since.

Even with the plugsout Ican not turn over the engine. I can put it in to neutral and spin the rear tire. I thought I mayhave bent a valve so I pulled the timing belts and turned the cams. Valves are not hung up but I could not move the crank.

I have been soaking the pistons with light oil and penetrating oil - I have tried pulling the bike. rocking it back and forth - I can't get the engine to free up.

Oh, the first thing I did was to pull the starter out to see if I bound the chain or sprocket. All turn fine - one direction but no kinks or etc. Checked the starter and it's ok. With all of my rocking etc I have had the starter out.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,380 Posts
imported post

Gosh...... the only thing that comes to mind is maybe the starter clutch is jambed...... since you knocked it gear as the starter was cranking. Maybe pull the starter and see if anything will free up. Transmission is free as you say you can find neutral and spin the rear wheel.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the reply. I can turn the sprocket and chain with no resistance. One way because of the clutch. I'm scratching my head

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
imported post

I would guess that the vinegar washed the oil off the cylinders and caused the rings to score the cylinder and locking up the engine. It doesn't take much.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

That could be it. I'll keep trying to get oil back on the cylinders

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Asp Just curious, what was the vinagar suppose to do ? I know it's good for mineral deposits, but what in a fuel system ?

Good Luck Jim

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I had fuel that varnished in the tank, fuel lines, carburetors, etc. Only 2 carburetors were open - tank supply line was plugged. It was a suggestion from another member to open things up and it worked great. Not to strong to effect gaskets.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

I doubt that the rings are seized to the walls. Did it stop immediately when you put it in first gear? How much liquid are you talking about here?? Possibly a hyd lock that bent a rod--but doubt it. Could be that the primary chain failed due to the shock of going into first gear. Could be a broken cog in one of the gears that jammed--even in neutral with the rear wheel able to spin freely.

That's a tough one.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Yes it stopped immediately. There was very little liquid. I was using a syringe to put it in to the fuel lines and then pushing it through with light air pressure with an air nozzle. I was wondering about the primary chain as well. Bound it up some how. I can put the bike in gear and release it to push it with the clutch in so I'm not sure about transmission also with its on the center stand I can go through the gears but I'm running out of ideas. Boy I do not want to have to go after that primary.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Still don't know what the vinegar was for... I've read as ideas for rusted gas tanks and dirty fuel caps and deposits in radiators... but the carburetors??? but like others have said, I don't think that is the problem.. vinegar all winter might do some damage, but for a few hours or a day... Not... something is jammed. maybe broken..

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

You mentioned you were waiting for parts was this for rear end? Was back end back together when this occurred?

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Yes, Froze up the engine then put the tire, drive shaft back together. At that time I thought that once I had the bike back together, I could rock the bike to free it up.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Hmmm there should have been very litle resistace wityh the drive train gone when you did this. Perhaps there's a clue there. The lack of resistane may have caused a overrun somewhere in the tranny or primary Wilf

Also I do not think you could jamb the tranny into low gear with the engine running would just grind So jambing it in at a very low speed may have desroyed something in the tranny

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Makes sense-so in gear just normal free play? Doubt if vinegar was the cause-has to be related to engaging 1st gear while cranking starter.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

This is a far fetch try. Spin the rear wheel in the opposite direction and have someone pop it into 1st. The wheel should lock up. Put it in neutral and try to turn the engine over using the crank bolt. You could also try jerking the crank bolt back and forth. If not then pulling the engine out is the next option. Sorry Tony

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you have it narrowed down to the engine.I like Tony's idea.I'm sure the plugs are still out, you might try some PB Blaster in each piston, it's the best penetrant i know of.Not sure though if something like STP would be better as far as preventing any scoring of the piston walls if it does break loose.
Jim

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.