Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

i had 10w30 oil in my 1200 but i could hee my valves clicking a bit so i decided to put in 15w40 . now my valves click even more than before.

what should i use to get rid of the clicking noise?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Two possibilities I can think of. First check the rocker centering on it's shaft then check the shims. I don't think the type of oil will make any difference on valve noise.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
imported post

If it has hydraulic lifters and they are dirty heavier oil is bad idea. Half bottle of ATF can clean them.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

Before oil changes do what exavid says and verify the mechanics of the valves then check the hydraulics, especially if the bike has an unknown history.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
imported post

I was just browsing the posts and ran across this

"Bad wiring causes anything from annoyances like static in stereo and intercom, to poor performance and fuel mileage up to severe engine cylinder damage from overheating. Before this was repaired, I measured over 500*F on exhaust headers, 240*F after repair, on idle. A burned connection on front of the start solenoid can cost your life when the cycle loses all electrical power on the highway. Youll swear on a stack of Monty Python videos that the "valve noise" in a GL1200 is really valve noise, the "valve rattle" in my engine disappeared once wiring was repaired."

Found it in this thread
http://goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/958.html

Maybe..............

I read farther along in that thread. If you skip to the last page, there are words of warning there. ( and the original post is 4 years old) I take it that we should take that thread with a grain of salt.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Oil change to 10w30, with 3 1/2 qts, then add a half qt of Marvel Mystery Oil.

Run for 500 miles - change back to 10w40 or something close.

That's my guess.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

I also have a ticking, I don't know what it is. Sounds like fuel pump, but I can touch pump and tell its ticking at different rate. Due to road noise I can't tell where and I don't hear it in driveway. Best I an describe it, sorry

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

thanks for all the answers,the thing is i didnt hear or almost no ticking before i changed my oil to 15w40. guess ill just go back to 10w30.by the way handyman was that post talking about the spark plug wiring or the whole motorcycle wiring?

·
Texas Boy
278 Posts
imported post

I would say that in a moderate/cool climate like Quebec a 5w40 or 5w30 wouldn't be a bad choice either.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

its actually pretty warm over here theses days,would 5w40 be a little too thin oil ?

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
imported post

Its still a 40w when it comes up to temp,its just a 5w when starting.When I ran the Rotella I let her warm up a little longer so the clutch had some warmer oil to work with.

·
Texas Boy
278 Posts
imported post

tracker4x44 wrote:
its actually pretty warm over here theses days,would 5w40 be a little too thin oil ?
We may have different opinions of "warm". We've had over 60 days of temps over 100 (38 c). I run 5w40 year round, no problems. The 40 may actually be a little light at times but I haven't seen a problem from it.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

ill take your word for it gary, ill go and buy some this afternoon and try it
thanks.
im tired of the clicking sound ...lol

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
imported post

What if he put some seafoam in it would that help to clean the valves and stop the clicking?

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

id love to use that stuff dusty, but seafoam is not available here in quebec canada

·
Texas Boy
278 Posts
imported post

I think just getting more oil into them will help. Seafoam would help too, but if you can't get it you can't get it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.