Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've been kinda laid up so I haven't had much of a chance to ride my Wing.But from my last experience ,I know I need some slight mods.More leg room with less of a bend in my knee. I have some hip problems that will need some pretty specific adjustments to get my leg in the right position to lift it.(some knee angles are more difficult for me-I tried a forward control bike last summer -absolutly not able to ride it safely.My friends old 75 CB 750 worked some what ok but not what I want for comfort to ride.)A couple questions.

1. If I go to floor boards (I think they are 1 1/2 in lower then stock pegs)will they allow me to slide my toe A little more under the cylinder heads?

2.I notice most floor boads sets come with a heel-toe shifter.I have never used a heel toe shifter-what is the advantage to it.Will I be able to shift fine with the stock shifter?

3.If I use the stock shifter will it give me more leg room so I can have my feet more forward? I have trouble lifting ny left leg and was thinking I would need to lift my leg every time I used the heel-toe set up,rather then just lifting my toe.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

I like my floorboards as I can move my foot around more than pegs will allow.

My LTD came with the floorboards and H/T shifter when I bought it. I didn't really like them at first as you had to raise your foot to shift. But after about a week of riding with it, I really liked it. My foot is long enough to have my foot cover both sides of the shifter so I only have to move it once from the floorboard to go through the gears.

I would say try it....if you don't like it you can always go back to pegs. As for the stock shifter and floorboards, I don't know.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

My 1200 has Markland boards, and I like 'em fine. I don't think my boot would fit under the stock shifter with the boards on. You might be able to rotate the lever up a couple splines for more clearance, but I'd just go for the heel-toe if I were you. You'll get used to it in no time, and it doesn't scar up the top of your boot. :)

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Have you sllid the seat to the rear. If not , doing this may give you a lil more leg room.

I gave up the heel toe because ther eare times when I rode a lil faster and dindt like having to bring my foot so far back for an upshift. What i would do to compensate was keep my heel touching the shifter for the first 3 shifts.

It was great for leisure riding, or normal, riding. And I missed the ability to move my foot around a bit.

Im sure your hip condition may be cauing the prob but you may also need a few short rides to get used to it just like all summer riders get the cramps the first few rides of the season.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the input-The reason I am looking at floorboards is thet it is very painful to lift my leg from the ground up to the pegs so the floor boards being lower should help-less height to lift my leg.I'm thinking the heel toe will be a disadvantage -because ,again it will require me to lift my whole foot rather then just pivot my foot to get my toe up. That is my thought process-???????
I need to look for a reasonably priced set of floorboards,

I have already slid my seat back as far as it will go.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i personally hate floor boards and heel-toe shifter on the 1200s

you have to lift your foot UP to the pedals. its such a pita to get her into neutral and a pita to brake with your foot on the air as the lever sits way 2 up the boards and the pita to lift my foot to the shift lever pedals.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

What about floorboards without heel-toe? Can you shift it easily?
Brakes with floor boards-can the brake pedal be altered so you wouldn't have your foot in the air?
I am buying a spare brake pedal & stock shift pedal so I can experiment.
I never had a problem with any bike B4 but I felt unsafe when I rode it for the first time-so I know I need to resolve these 2 issues.
I know I am asking a lot of questions and may seem picky but as it is now I won't ride it till I feel in control of these issues.Not having the right angle on my knee makes it difficult and very painful to lift my left foot from the road to the drivers peg. When my knee is at the right angle I can lift it much easier.
My VA Dr is trying some different meds to relieve the pain-just so I can ride.Maybe it will not be feasible for me to ride-a trike is out as I enjoy twisty roads.I may have to go to a smaller bike but then riding 2 up may be out.I just don't feel ready to give up yet.Sure wish i had not stopped riding for so many years but I had a bunch of good reasons beyond my control.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Hey oldmisterbell. Keep trying.
I know for sure that the shifter pedal is nearly impossible to get under with floorboards installed. You will need a heel toe which is not bad once to get the hang of it. The hell toe can even be shifted upward with the toie if you find that the heel doesnt work for you.

The brake can be adjusted and is not necessary to lift your leg to hit the brake.Another Idea is you buy a different seat or modify the one you have. This gets pretty expensive, as A friend of mine payed $300 for a corbin on a gl100. This guy is 6ft5 and is now able to sit comfortably. I know mustandg makes a less sporty and extra plush seat for the wing as well.Not only can you sit a bit higher and backward but less stress on you under thighs may reduce fatigue.

Keep us posted on your findings.
Jose

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

oldmisterbill wrote:
Brakes with floor boards-can the brake pedal be altered so you wouldn't have your foot in the air?
Yes. I took a spare brake pedal to a local welding shop, and asked them to lengthen it by 2". They justspliced in a piece of bar stock. I then painted the wholething silver. It turned out good, and works great with the floorboards.

Marty

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Any close up photos of these setups would be appreciated,I don't have any friends with Wings.My left foot is laidup (strained achilllies heel)so I haven't been able to do any thing to my list of things to do -like grease the splines for the rear wheel,grease the splines for the U joint put on new timing belts,and fix the rear brakes.The previous owner had new shoes and rear caliper rebuilt then stoped riding it in the fall due to health problems.When He went to ride it to home the rear brakes failed.There is fluid in the master cylinder resevoir so I suspect either it is air bound or a bad master cylinder.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

oldmisterbill wrote:
. . . . . I'm thinking the heel toe will be a disadvantage -because ,again it will require me to lift my whole foot rather then just pivot my foot to get my toe up. . . . .
The ONLY time I lift my whole foot up is to help find neutral sometimes. You just upshift with your heel, and downshift with your toe. Never been a problem for me at all. Everybody's different, I guess.

There seems to be a lot of militant anti board/heel-toe shifter folks on this forum, so I would think you could probably pick up a used set cheap to try out.

I haven't found this to be true with the 1500s, though. Boards and shifter sets still go for top $$$ - even though I'm the only one that likes 'em. :)

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

oldmisterbill wrote:
Any close up photos of these setups would be appreciated,I don't have any friends with Wings.

Okay, I'll snap a shot today. Here we go, (I hope).

Marty

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
imported post

I hated them on the 1200 too. I didn't like the brake pedal setup with the boards or the heel/toe shifting particularly, but the main thing I hated was they will drag in any turn that requires any lean angle. Other guys don't mind dragging, but I've dragged stuff on motorcycles in the past hard enough to lever the tires off the road and have crashed at least twice from this in my younger foolisher days, so to me dragging is no fun and I'd rather not.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

+1,000.

I had a 97 GL1500 with floorboards. Impossible to find neutral, shifting was a b*tch.

I wouldn't ride it. Glad I'd just bought it to sell it.

Rusty.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

Okay, here is a picture of my extended brake pedal.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

And, one of my heal toe shifter. I took the heel peg off, and simply shift on the lever. It may not work for others, but it works pretty good for me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

4evermetric....I got a question....why does your floorboards look like they are on facing backwards? The fat part of the floorboard faces the front of the bike on mine.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

Snorebaby wrote:
4evermetric....I got a question....why does your floorboards look like they are on facing backwards? The fat part of the floorboard faces the front of the bike on mine.
I guess because they were an e-bay purchase, with no instructions, and I looked at them and decided I would rather have less floorboard under the engine, and more floorboard where it might do some good.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

:bowing:....I was hoping I wasn't going crazyand seeing things:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.