Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, When do you have to change the front fork oil. Also, what would be the tell-tale signs? Diving too much? Age? Low speed wobble? There is NO evidence oil has leaked from the forks, very clean. Thanks.....1985 Goldwing Aspy

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
Fork oil goes bad over time without being noticed until you change it then wow, what a difference. I change mine usually annually.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Oil doesn't hold up your bike the springs do so if it dives too much your springs are worn out and should be replaced. The oil is the dampening part of the suspension and the older the oil the less "smooth" the ride will be. If you have never changed the oil it's time to change it.

Not a big deal but it does take quite a bit of pressure to re-install the fork caps. I use a proper fitting socket, put the bike on the center stand and support the front with a jack under the engine to keep the front wheel just off the ground so the fork springs are fully extended. Stand on the pegs and with a proper fitting socket and about 6" extension and ratchet put your full body weight over the socket and turn the wrench. I have never cross threaded one because of the design, but you should be careful to keep from cross threading.

Check your manual for proper amounts of oil in each fork and use a measuring cup.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I also change mine annually. Even at that the oil drains out quite disgusting and dark.

Use ATF as the manual suggests or 10 weight fork oil. I like the fork oil. You can also tailor the oil a bit by blending the 10 wt. with a little 5 or 7.5 wt. to get quicker forks, or a little 15 wt. to gat better damping.

When you take the top cap off it will be under some spring pressure. Be ready for that by constantly applying downward pressure. Be sure bike is on center stand, and as jdvorchak has stated have the front wheel off the ground, supported by a stable jack under the front of the engine.

When you get the caps off, take out the springs and try the threaded caps back in their proper forks. Mark the cap with a felt pen just at the point where it starts to catch the threads so you can get the threads engaged under the spring tension right away, without wasting the better part of a turn.

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VERY good explaination. Got it, I am an automotive tech so that part is perfect. Where do you drain it from. I know, stupied question but I have to ask, I have other techs from different brands how I do certain jobs, MANY times we don't do it by the book, but by experience.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
there is a drain plug at the bottom of the forksif you have a book it will tell you where it is and how much oil to put back in it

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks ridgid11 and all that replyed. I will look at that today to see the drain.Btw, I am always near Brockville while boating. Nice town

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Thanks ridgid11 and all that replyed. I will look at that today to see the drain.Btw, I am always near Brockville while boating. Nice town
and im always in chateauguay que where i grew up

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Buzz off!!!! I grew up in Chateauguay on Lemoyne street!!! Billings High School!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looked the bottom of the forks, I see no drain hole there. Am I blind?

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
yes so did i and my three brothers,i graduated in 85,still have friends there and cuz.
ill go out and take a good look later and tell you where it is ,even when i looked in the book it was hard for me anyway.i went to billings too

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I didn't go to high school in Quebec, but the drain bolt is the 10mm head bolt on the rear lower part of the TRAC anti dive valve. It is on the center line of the valve right below the anti dive adjuster housing.

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh you guys are funny! Don't gang up on the Quebec guy! I AM CANADIAN. And loving it! The responses are great. Love the photo, If someone was to drain it from that bolt, couldn't they refill from the same hole using a pump instead of removing the 2 famous top plugs of the shocks? Just a question like that, input is always welcome......

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
Oh you guys are funny! Don't gang up on the Quebec guy! I AM CANADIAN. And loving it! The responses are great. Love the photo, If someone was to drain it from that bolt, couldn't they refill from the same hole using a pump instead of removing the 2 famous top plugs of the shocks? Just a question like that, input is always welcome......
Yes that could be done but you would have to disconnect the air line to the forks so it would allow the fluid to go in without pressurizing it.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
You have to remove the wheel and under the cut out portion where the axle attaches to the forks. There is a recessed 6mm allen bolt that holds the upper fork tube from pulling all the way out like when you do a wheelie... That bolt is usually loc-tite'd so if you can use an impact wrench it would be easier. The oil then drains out the bottom. When you put it back the manual says to put some loc-tite on it but most, including me, do that. Just put them back dry and the torque is 11 to 18 foot pounds.

I find it easier to just pull the fork tubes off and drain them into a bucket. Loosen the TOP pinch bolts. Remove the fork caps and pull the springs out while still on the bike. Loosen the lower pinch bolts and pull the fork tubes out and pour the old oil out. Flush the fork tubes with some solvent while pumping the forks up and down slow and smooth. Then drain the solvent and flush with some ATF then put the forks back on the bike. Snug the pinch bolts, except the top pair, and fill with the proper amount of new fork oil or ATF. I use ATF. Re-insert the springs and fork caps and tighten the pinch bolts to spec.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Wouldn't that be a lot easier?
Sorry I missed that whole discussion. Those top caps are difficult but not impossible. Trying to force the exact proper amount of fork oil up through that hole would seem to me to be impossible without it shooting out all over. Then what do you do when you remove your pump and try to insert that bolt and keep the oil from running out. I'm just sayin'

FYI from the service manual:
Pour the specified amount of ATF into the fork​
tube.
CAPACITY: 345​
em3 (11.67 US OZ, 12.11 Imp oz)

NOTE:​
Be sure the oil level is the same in both fork​
tubes.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
easy on him guys he might be from Quebec but he is a canadian ,we went to an english school,just take off the caps its not that hard,just keep preasure on it when it goes,its not as a bad as what everyone says,but if they dont say someting and you just unscrew it you could get hurt.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.