Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Has anybody ever heard of an optional trans or rear ring/pinion ratio for trailer towing? It's an 86 Wing.

If not, can some of you fine folks give me your engine RPM in OD at 60 mph. Thanks

Twisty

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I have had both a trailor AND a sidecar on my 1200 wing and have never had problems with enough power. It has always performed well with the OEM rear end. My 1000, however, was way under powered when I had a motorvation roadster on it, and the '78s rear ends were geared lower tan the 75-76 models.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

dudenstumpy wrote:
Twisty, my 86 Asp( no trailer ) has 3000 to 3050 at an indicated 60mph.

cheers,
Craig, thanks. That seems to agree with my setup. I'm turning 2950 RPM at an indicated 60 mph.

This is my first 1200 Wing and the rpm's seemed awful fast at 90-100 mph ( the usual fast lane speed on the interstate in my area). The bike was set up to pull a trailer when I bought it so was just wondering if it had a different drive ratio. It looks like it is stock.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

At an indicated 100 kph, my 1984 GL1200A is showing 3,000 rpm on the tach. Goes up to 3,300 at 110 kph.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Mr.1200 wrote:
Twisty...All the 1200's camewith the sameFinal Drive unit...Even the 1500's have the same Gear Ratio,only the 1500's have beefier bearings,and will fit in a 1200,by drilling out the four drive mounting holes in the 1200 swing arm..

Now the transmission gears,although were the same ratio,But they have different part numbers through the 84-87's,and the 87's have the smoothest,and quietest transmissions of all the 1200's,has to do with the way they (gears)were cut.

When I let my buddy drive my 87A,(he has a 85A) he comments on how quiet my bike is..And his doesn't have any tranny troubles...I can shift his like it was an automatic..

So your safe to tow anything you like,Just not a Harley on a trailer,Goldwings have Standards you know!!!
Thanks for all the replies. I am not planning on pulling a trailer, actually I removed all the trailering parts. My question was aimed at, IF I had production gear ratios in the trans and final drive as the engine RPM seemed so high at 90 MPH.

Twisty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.