Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have seen a lot of questions about 1200 front fork removal and seal, spring, oil changes, etc.and I think it would be a great idea if someone had a video of this procedure.

Sometimes the text just doesn't get all the details that a video could. I know Ithink I would feel more comfortable SEEING how it is done. Especially when some of us who have never taken one apart dont understand all the details.

I have seen some of the pictures posted for the 1800 on the workshop board here. Any chance of getting something for the 1200's there?

Does anyone have such a video? Even a short one that shows all the parts and how they are assembled. It could easily be done as a .wmv file and maybe uploaded to an archive for download.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Harry

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

It would need a 1200 owner to do this himself. I can't see the owner of this site going out and buying a gl1200 and spending weeks working and videoing it for our sakes, specially when he doesn't get anything for it. I reckon he just works on the occassional Wing and gets the camera out when he thinks of it. :)

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Purchasing a Honda manual is really all you need. It has all the info to do the job.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

There are plenty of pictures in the repair manual...:)

:12beige:

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Next time I do some repair work to my 1200, I'll bring along the still and video cams.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

If the Manual is all that is needed and they have plenty of pictures, then why do I see so many posts asking specific questions about removing and rein the forks?

Seems maybe the manual is either not clear or there are thosegurus herewho know a better way than what the manual calls for. (Something I have seen a lot of here)

Anyhow I just thought if someone was doing a rebuild that a video cam set up to record it wouldn't be very difficult to do. Or maybe it is..... I don't know.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

airbeat wrote:
Anyhow I just thought if someone was doing a rebuild that a video cam set up to record it wouldn't be very difficult to do. Or maybe it is..... I don't know.
It could be done, but I don't think it would be easy to make a video with enough quality to be of much use. You wouldn't want fixed camera since it would be difficult to cover enough angles to make sense of a lot of work. That means you would need someone else to do the filming, most wouldn't want to handle an expensive camera with greasy mitts!

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

The best way is if some of us owners video ourselves working on our bikes, then send the videos to the wingnut. I'm sure he would edit them and make them into tutorials for download off the site. That way we would be giving something back and getting involved. :)

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

How many bother buying a manual.
These bikes normaly just keep going but when they do hiccup thats when the questions are asked

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Videos are o.k., but if you concentrate on what the repair manual states and shows with the captioned pictures, you get a pretty good idea of what's going on when performing a repair. Any manufacturer is keyed to produce a service manual for the general public who can understand what's written and be somewhat skilled with hand tools.. If an individual does not fall into either of those catagories, they should not be performing thier own maintenance. Unless you are proficient enough to perform the tasks outlined in the book, then for saftey sake alone, someone else should be doing the work..

Mechanics, over time and performing repetitious work, develop short cuts and retain the knowledge to complete a repair without even looking at the manual. The general public does not have that option.

So, with all due respect, if anyone has the desire and capability to produce a video, that would be a great enhancement for everyone who does his own work, but in the mean time,,, give me the OEM service manual...:)

This board is the ONLY source of clear and accurate information available to Goldwingers and it's due to the concerted effort of all it's members, experienced or not.. We're supposed to be having fun here while we're learning... :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

I agree with Renegade. Most mechanics don't even look at a manual when changing say thetiming belts on a particular car, even if they haven't done one on that type of car before. They know the routine. But I have to say that a short video tutorial can take the fear and mystery out of some tasks for those of average ability. The wingnuts one on fitting the Utopia backrest is an example. Loads of people have fitted these backrests after watching the video clip.

Sometimes a video clip will make us realize that we can actually do this job after all as it's not as hard as we first thought. It's nice to have the option of a WS manual or a video.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

I don't know how many guys here have tried to produce a video on GL repairs, but, it's not as easy as one might think it is. It requires at least two to three people during the process to handle showing the repair being performed, working the camera and getting the lighting right. Then you have to get it from the camera, to the computer, then to DVD, then mail it out. A lot of work.

I started to do just this myself because I have an 85 GL1200 in my shop for a rebuild and I figured I would digitally record all the events. It took up so much of my time that I finally put the camera away and got to working on the bike because it was taking more time to film the work than it was to do the work.

I suppose you could do a cheapie, poorly lighted video, but, I can't see people paying hard earned dollars for these videos and it would cost even more for decent footage.

If you would like to pay for my time and other associated costs airbeat I would gladly produce a decent video of a front fork rebuild, but. I will need your response and a deposit by tonight, because by tomorrow I'll be installing those rebuilt forks on the 85 Wing.

Vic

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks for the offer Vic but I was looking for a helpful freebee. If its that involved I can understand why one would not want to do it without compensation.

Like I said, it was just a thought. Guess when the time comes I'll hit the manual and go from there.

Harry

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

I dont think airbeat was asking for the impossible. As 03Silver said everyone was terrified to fit the Utopia Backrest to the :18red:but when they watched the wingnut video even i could fit it. :stumped: So if someone could take the time and record a cheap video and pass it on to the wingnut, :jumper:im sure he would do the rest. :weightlifter:Reading something from a manual and watching it on screen are two different ball games. :skipping:Look at the amount of time wingnut puts into this forum to help all of us ungrateful sods all free of charge.:jumper:So come on some of you :12red:experts and get the video made. :clapper:

:walker: :18red: :walker:

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

I bought all the manuals I could from Honda about my bike... and they are far from all that I need. I still can't get the air compressor and the items that go with it out of my fairing on my '85 LTD

Manuals are good for specs.. but after that you may be on your own for alot of things.

:12ltd:

Marty :cool:

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

We should put a call out to forum membersfor their video clips for the older Wings. They would be a great help for some people. :D

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

That would be great if there were some maint clips already out there for the 1100 and 1200 models. Sure would be nice to have access to them in an archive somewhere.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

If any of us with camcorders are doing work on our bikes and have a bit of time to spare, why not set up the camcorder and send the clips to the wingnut to post here? That would be a great help to some people.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

I thought I'd revive this thread, just in case anyone has managed to put a video clip together! :clapper:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

englishted wrote:
If any of us with camcorders are doing work on our bikes and have a bit of time to spare, why not set up the camcorder and send the clips to the wingnut to post here? That would be a great help to some people.
I tried just that the last time I did the steering head bearings and timing belts and brakes on a GL1200. It's not as easy to do as you might think. You need good lighting and a person to work the lights, you need a camera with tripod and zoomand a microphone and someone to work the camera and then you need the time to get the actual work accomplished. Then you need some means to transfer the videotape or the digital recording onto your high speed PC which requires $$$$ adaptors plus hours of time because the media transfer is very slow.

It's easy to see why good mechanical videos are not commonly available at reasonable prices because it is expensive to produce and very time consuming. It would take someone with lots of time and knowhow to produce a decent video that would be worth watching and learning from.

Vic

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.