Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi, new to the site. you guys have a ton of information here. my wife talked me into a goldwing trike...........safer she says......ok. so thats where i am now, 1200 goldwing but wondering how much hp difference in the 1200 vs the 1500. i use to ride a kaw concours, much different power and wondering if the 1500 would be closer to it. thanks
i think the riding here in north dakota is done, snowing now.
terry

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
imported post

I have never ridden the GL1500, or the connie, but I do ride a CB900C, and that bike is in the same sort of vain as the connie. I wouldn't expect you to find a goldwing that will make power like the connie would. The inline fours like the 900 and connie tend to have high revs, favor hp and do most things higher in the rpm range then the flat fours. The goldwing engines after the 1000 started favoring tourqe more then hp, and the 1500 should make a big jump in torque over the 1200. This will make for there being more power at take off then the inline fours would tend to have.

I don't think there is a doubt that the engine from the 1500 would make for a better trike. The 1500 will power the trike much better then the 1200, but I expect the 1200 wouldn't have much of a problem with it.

But some HP and torque states for the two would be pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
imported post

and I believethe 1500 has a reverse, but the 1200 doesn't. If you're thinking about a trike, I would think you would want to consider whether or not you might have to get off and push it backwards at some point.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving: Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Site carson! :waving::waving:

The 1200 has 94 hp at 7000 rpm, the 1500 has 100 hp at 52 rpm. The torque of the 1200 is 10.7kgm at 5500 rpm, the 1500 is rated at 15.3kgm at 4000 rpm so you can see thetwo extra cylinders and 300cc more displacement results in nearly 50% more torque which could mean better performance for the added weight of a trike. Lots less shifting, and a lot quieter at highway speed, 70 mph is around 3050 rpm.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
imported post

What dose the 1500's redline at? I'm kinda supprised that they hit top power that low, but thats pretty cool for touring bike.

I guess the GL1100 might be as close to the connie as the wings will get. The power on the connie probably tops out much closer to 10k. The big thing with the connie is that Kawasaki has always used a detuned sports bike engine for them. Even the 2008's will be using a version of the 1400 Ninja engine.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The redline on the 1500 is 5500rpm. Low rpm means less piston travel per mile which is probably one of the factorsfor the engine's long life. 5000 rpm in top gear would be 120mph so the redline speed of the bike would be 130mph if it reaches that. I've never had mine much over 100mph though it wasn't through I was. Hard to find a long stretch of cop free road around here. Should have tested it when I was on highway 50 in Nevada butas it turned out if I had I would have run out of gas before the next fuel stop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.