Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK, now that I have the carb's pretty well under control it's time to get some input on the trans gear noise.

This is the first Wing I have owned 'owned lots of motorcycles' but this is thefirst Wing.

I have gear whine in all gears, not at all speeds in the gears but some noise inevery gear at one speed or another. Is this normal? I do see some posts on gear noise but not enough data to determine if it's normal.

This 1200 only has 21,000 miles on it but has a trailer hitch so it probably pulled a trailer at one time, 'I'm the 3rd owner'.

The shifting is also pretty harsh as it clacks and clunks as it is shifted. I read a post by? 'sorry I can't quote the name' about preloading the shift lever before declutching and that seems to help a lot. Again is this normal?

The clutch releases good, at least at rest as I can put it in gear with little clunking or trouble. The clutch has a good solid friction point that stays at the same location hot or cold. No air in the clutch as I have changed the fluid and bled it till good and solid with no lost motion in the clutch master cylinder.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

All the 1200s except the 87 were prone to tramsmission noise, I think mostly from the drivetrain rather than the gears.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

03Silver wrote:
All the 1200s except the 87 were prone to tramsmission noise, I think mostly from the drivetrain rather than the gears.

03Silver, thanks. The noise I have is not from the rear drive gear or prop shaft but could easily be from the transoutput gear set as I basically have it in all gears.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Hi there Twisty. If the noise is a whine instead of a grinding sound, then I have to say it's fairly common on 1200s. I've seen this on plenty of low milers and it's always either the output gear, differential or both. Honda fixed it on the 1987 model.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Budegan wrote:
Hi there Twisty. If the noise is a whine instead of a grinding sound, then I have to say it's fairly common on 1200s. I've seen this on plenty of low milers and it's always either the output gear, differential or both. Honda fixed it on the 1987 model.

Budegan , thanks. Yes it's definitely a gear type whine, 'sounds like a fork truck'. The noise comes in and out depending on the load, gear,and speed.

It's not therear drive gear 'no differential with only one wheel to drive' and it isn't drive shaft as the speed and whine noise is more gear tooth like.

It really sounds like straight cut gear noise but this is the first bike I have owned with this much gear noise. It doesn't sound terminal but just bothersome.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Twisty.. I have owned two 1200's,, One since new... They all have a certain amount of gear noise.. Some more than others.. It's because the gears are not ground eliptical like gears in an automobile. They are straight cut and without synchros, which will give you that "clunk" noise when shifting... Jumping down into first gear is the worst, but normal.

Look way back in the postings on this site for loads of info on this sort of thing. However, here are some tips to help out before you get too concerned.

#1 Change the engine oil & filter to 10/40w andrun it. Then change over to 20-50w when the ambient temperature outside gets to around 70 degrees and above.

#2 Tires... Inspect the front and rear for ANY signs of cupping. I don't care how much tread is left,,, look closely at where the angled cuts in the tread meet. They should all be smooth and meet perfectly... If there is any difference in wear, replace them...

#3 The final drive is probably fine... I would suggest changing the gear oil to the recommended spec just for s__ts & giggles if it hasn't already been done.

#4 Inspect the rubber boot over the universal joint.. If it is worn away in any of the valleys from the inside, it indicates either joint or output shaft slop and should be repaired right away.

#5 Inspect the whole bike for signs of a collision or bent frame and suspension.. Even though the bike is old, the mileage indicates a very young wing and should last as long as there are replacement parts available.

Hope this helps.. Let us know how all this turns out and as always, good luck.. Renegade:12beige:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Renegade wrote:
Twisty.. I have owned two 1200's,, One since new... They all have a certain amount of gear noise.. Some more than others.. It's because the gears are not ground eliptical like gears in an automobile. They are straight cut and without synchros, which will give you that "clunk" noise when shifting... Jumping down into first gear is the worst, but normal.

Look way back in the postings on this site for loads of info on this sort of thing. However, here are some tips to help out before you get too concerned.

#1 Change the engine oil & filter to 10/40w andrun it. Then change over to 20-50w when the ambient temperature outside gets to around 70 degrees and above.

#2 Tires... Inspect the front and rear for ANY signs of cupping. I don't care how much tread is left,,, look closely at where the angled cuts in the tread meet. They should all be smooth and meet perfectly... If there is any difference in wear, replace them...

#3 The final drive is probably fine... I would suggest changing the gear oil to the recommended spec just for s__ts & giggles if it hasn't already been done.

#4 Inspect the rubber boot over the universal joint.. If it is worn away in any of the valleys from the inside, it indicates either joint or output shaft slop and should be repaired right away.

#5 Inspect the whole bike for signs of a collision or bent frame and suspension.. Even though the bike is old, the mileage indicates a very young wing and should last as long as there are replacement parts available.

Hope this helps.. Let us know how all this turns out and as always, good luck.. :12beige:

Renegade, I have already done most of what you suggested.

1)- I have change oil and filter to 15W50 as that is what I run in most of my other bikes.

2)- The tires are new last fall with only about 300 miles on them. Were spun balanced also.

3)- The gear oil was changed out to synthetic last fall and the wheel and drive shaft splines greased with 60% molly grease.

4)- I inspected the u-joint last fall when I greased the shaft splines and it looks and feels like new.

5)- The bike looks like new & tracks great at 110 mph. Nothing bent that I could see when I had it apart for service. About the only thing I think it needs is some new front springs as the ones in there now need lots of air pressure to keep the front end up on hard braking or high speed curves. I'm thinking progressive when I make the change.

I'm just trying to understand if gear noise on a 1200 Wing is normal?

Twisty

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Yeah!!! It's normal...:)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yep, mine had a whine too even when I rode solo! :goofygrin:I kinda liked it, sounded like a bit like a turbojet! :weightlifter:

Damn, Renegade I like that front view! :clapper::clapper::clapper:

:waving::15red::waving:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.